𝟏𝟕. 𝐀 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐕𝐀𝐋

(CHAPTER SEVENTEEN :A BROTHER'S APPROVAL)

A BROTHER'S APPROVAL)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

TEARS, BURNING TEARS, STREAMED down my face. I had my hand in my chest — my heart in my hand! There were two voices in my mind, the dominant one enticing me to 'end it all' and the meeker one reminding me that I was 'stronger than a spell.' It was battle, and not a fun one. Inside my bones, an impulsive urge I couldn't suppress, demanded I died for all my unforgivable sins. All it would take was a minuscule tug.

With such an immense speed that I couldn't comprehend it, a vampire catapulted my body into a wall of lockers. "What are you doing?" He demanded, the fierce authority in his voice covering up the meagre traces of concern that lurked beneath his words.

Slumped against the lockers, I didn't have the energy to move. "Esther." I wheezed our after a minute or two, desperately attempting to stabilise my breathing pattern. "Your Mom spelled, or cursed, me." I explained shortly, a part of me thankful for his interruption because it snapped me out of my trance. Not that I would ever admit it out loud, but Klaus Mikaelson saved me.

"I wouldn't exactly call that witch a Mother of mine when she is trying to kill me now." Klaus noted dryly. "But, she is smart and I doubt she would be as anticlimactic to send you on a suicide mission." He reasoned, to which I agreed with. Like I said to Kol earlier, it would be too easy. "Not that I can say the same for that little boyfriend of yours. Jeremy Gilbert, is it?" Per usual, the man had an ulterior motive to his good deed, intending to interrogate me, I'm sure. However, this didn't register immediately, my concern for the teenager consuming me.

"What?" I blurted, my posture shooting straighter. "I haven't been able to see him all night because I was caught up with the spell and other things." I supplied casually, curious as to what I could have missed.

Klaus had a knowing look on his face, but my features remained vacant and unrevealing. "Whilst you were attending to other things, Esther found some different targets to amuse herself with — I wouldn't feel too special, love." He mused, almost gaining pleasure out of my unease. I had to bite my my tongue, resisting spluttering a sarcastic comment because I knew he didn't owe me this information. "Ah, she possessed Rebekah, poor girl missed the dance. Now, she has the doppelgänger and history teacher held captive. So, the local humans went on a jolly old rescue mission." As if a child, he clapped his hands together, a mischievous glint in his vibrant eyes.

I clenched my fist until my knuckles turned white. "And why would you send the humans?" I shouted, knowing he had just signed their death sentence without a second thought. "You may be the 'big, bad hybrid,' but if Jeremy or Matt come back with even a single scratch, I will find a way to put you down. In fact, I'll put you all down." I seethed in my flaring rage, unsure if the intense sizzling in my stomach was a result of my hatred for the Original in front of me or the spell. Could it be a side-effect, the next wave?