𝟐𝟎. 𝐒𝐏𝐋𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄

(CHAPTER TWENTY : SPLIT SIRE)

(CHAPTER TWENTY :
SPLIT SIRE)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

IT WAS PANDEMONIUM. AFTER the news had broke that Elena Gilbert was being held captive — alongside our perky blonde friend, Caroline — by the newly revived Alaric, chaos erupted. Everybody shot into a state of franticness, knowing that we were under a strict time crunch to save our friends. Whether the pressure pushed the brothers into unity or it was their love for this one girl, I didn't know, but I did know Stefan and Damon worked tirelessly to form a plan. Of course I was going to participate in the rescue mission, yet I didn't feel needed. Bonnie had the magic, Klaus the strength and I was just there. As the youngest vampire, I was physically the weakest. Perhaps I was paranoid, perhaps I needed to justify leaving Mystic Falls, but I felt like an extra in somebody else's show.

"Ready?" Stefan checked, for the ninth time because, yes, I had been counting. "There's no shame in backing down, we could do this without you. If anything happened to you, Damon would murder all of us." He padded his words with assurance whilst scrutinising me with his forest tinted eyes.

"Oh, there's always shame in backing down." I corrected him, my pride too stout to dare abandon the mission. "And, I mean, how bad can an alter-ego of a History teacher really be? Alaric wore khaki. Khaki. It couldn't get worse than that." I pretended to tremble at the thought of the man's poor clothing taste.

"He's bad." Stefan deadpanned, convinced I'd underestimated the new version of Alaric Saltzman. He was about to expand on his statement when his phone vibrated. "Abby just showed up." He read from his phone, pocketing the device with a grunt.

"Good." Klaus commented. "Perhaps this plan won't be an epic failure after all. You know, if this does go off and we drop the history teacher in the Atlantic, I'm still leaving with Elena." He remarked, ensuring that we were all aware that the alliance was merely temporary. Reasonably, this made me cautious of his loyalties.

Daringly, I took a step closer to him. "You're more deluded than I first thought if you believe we'd let you just take her." I scoffed, the argument I had with the brunette long behind me. It wasn't about friendship now, it was about survival.

Mirroring my movements, the Original sealed the distance between us. "I know you wouldn't, but have you forgotten how easily you can be killed?" He sneered. "I've done it once before, love." Clicking his tongue, Klaus smirked. No doubt he had been dying to hold that sword over my head all day.

"Kol's right." I spat. "You do always have the same threats." My shoulders slumped, storming away to wait for my queue outside of Mystic Falls High School. Contrary to how it appeared, I didn't leave out of defeat, I left out of exhaustion. I didn't have the energy to endure another tedious conversation about the best thing for Elena Gilbert. For once, I wanted somebody to care about the best thing for the town, the civilians and maybe — just maybe — the best thing for me.