19. An Irish Vow

Tristan was holding Vienna in his arms as he was embracing her. He looked into her eyes silently waiting for her to speak.

Vienna breathed "Tristan. So ... What does this mean? They must have some males in that family. The O'Kanes are a large family." She knew about the O'Kane family more than she should have because Vincenzo talked about them with Viggo alot. He saw them as rivals of the Rosarios. How Vincenzo described them worried Vienna. O'Kanes were a family she didnt want to think about. She had heard enough about them from Vincenzo to know they were not friends of her Italian-American family. They were not their enemies because her father had not given them a reason to be. Not yet. But no one was immune to their feuds and brutality of their revenge missions. The O'Kanes were easily offended. One member of any family offending them could mean getting wiped out. They didnt forgive even the smallest crimes. Years ago there was a mob war and the O'Kanes had made sure to wipe out all enemies at a big cost. She had no idea that Tristan was related to them at all. She was worried for him. Jackson O'Kane was the most brutal man she had ever heard of.

Tristan sighed "Vienna. I think you know the definition of a male heir. Trent and I are the only ones. Jackson O'Kane lost many nephews and his younger brothers now only have daughters.  He also lost many male cousins in the mob war. He does have cousins through his mother's side as you know. The O'Quinns and the O'Keefes are his closest relatives but they dont have O'Kane blood as they are related to Jackson O'Kane's mother who was half O'Quinn and half O'Keefe...." Tristan paused. "Are you Okay Vienna?"

Vienna gave out a shaky breath "I am fine.. its just too much to take in... Continue Tristan. How is it there are no male heirs at all in such a large family?" Vienna then trembled as she was just realising that the O'Quinn and O'Keefe family were related to Tristan. She had met their kids a few times years ago in birthday parties. Years back when they were younger it was possible to mix with the Irish without concerns of any clash happening. Kids parties were mixed. However even as kids the O'Keefes and O'Quinn's did give her the chills. The kids were no friends of hers or her brothers. She was wary of them.

Tristan explained " I even haven't met some members of the O'Kane family. They mean business. All my life I have known I am to be prepared for something bigger than anything I can imagine. Jackson O'Kane is the head of his large family. He informed my father years ago that his sons are his heirs too. I wish there was a way to make you not worried but Vienna use your imagination. O'Kanes are powerful and influential beyond what you can imagine. They have alliances by blood with O'Keefes and O'Quinns. They are axes of power just like how Rosarios are with Agostinis and O'Neil's. I think you are right that there should be more male heirs. As precaution they are protecting Jonas O'Kane who is Jackson's sister's son. She married her father's accountant in secret and had him. They made sure he kept the family name of his mother as the father was made to disappear. Some say he is dead but I think he is in exile. He is to be trained as a lawyer since his mother does not want him to risk his life. He is the only other heir but they keep him secret. I have met him a couple of times. I don't wish to say he is like Edward Blake but he is someone like him without the clumsiness. He is smart. He is like his father. Very academic. He sent me some of his research papers he is working on with forecast of Wall Street. He will be a lawyer and strategist for me when I take over. I think his uncle had some hopes to convince his sister to let Jonas be his heir but then he sees Jonas is not a born leader. So his mother got his wish. He is not in danger as the head of the family..."

Vienna was surprised " How come I have never met him?"

Tristan spoke " He is being protected. He was a flight risk to begin with. A couple of times he left home without permission to go look for his father. He got caught within hours of course. He is very curious about his father. When I become in charge I would allow him to meet with him. He is desperate to meet him. He is loyal to his uncle but he just wants to know his father. He doesn't even know if he is alive. I think Jackson O'Kane can be unreasonable at times. Jonas has been the model nephew doing everything by the book. He doesn't put one foot wrong. I think everyone deserves to know their family. He just wants to check if his father is alive and safe."