30. Christmas Eve 1979 (Part 5)

Tristan was standing outside the church alongside the other Irish families waiting for the Italians to arrive. He couldn't wait to see Vienna. He smiled as he saw the Rosario cars arriving first. They always came early. He had counted on that.

When the cars stopped, he watched Vienna get off the car. He approached her from behind and whispered "Hi Vienna."

Vienna jumped and turned "Hi."

Tristan took her hand in his and lead her away ignoring the other rosarios staring him down. He said "Where are my pastries Vienna?"

Vienna said "In the car safe and sound. We don't eat before mass so I just thought I give them to you later... Where are we going? The church entrance is the other way."

Tristan said "We are going to the crypt of the church. I like to be alone with you for a while."

Vienna walked down the stairs with him not arguing. She could feel the eyes of others on her. But she had to get used to it. Tristan wanted her in the crypt so she went with him no questions asked.

As they entered the area with stone walls under the church, Vienna gasped "Wow. I didn't expect this place to be so beautifully decorated."

Tristan said " It's Christmas. They decorate everywhere." He then pointed to a corner where there were stone tables and stone chairs. He pulled out a chair for her to sit down. Vienna sat down and he sat opposite her as he didn't let go of her hand. He said "Vienna ... I brought you here to tell you something."

Vienna asked "What is it?"

Tristan said "I couldn't say it in your house but I can say it here ... You know after today a lot will change."

Vienna said "That is what I was told when you were sworn in as the head of the O'Kanes."

Tristan shook his head "There is more change. It's about our families. After today our relationship won't be the same."

Vienna asked "What? What do you mean? You make no sense. We are here in church right now. What can go wrong?"

Tristan said "Nothing can go wrong at the church. It is what follows that can cause chaos."

Vienna said "You are worrying me. What will happen?"

Tristan said "It's not for certain. It all depends on the actions of your family."

Vienna asked "Actions of my family?"

Tristan nodded "Yes. For now Vincenzo will be occupied with his own vendetta he has against some old enemies. That will keep the rosarios busy. But there is other issues that your family will be facing and making decisions on..."

Vienna asked "What is it?"

Tristan said "The conflict of who's side to take in a different game."

Vienna said "You make no sense. What game?"

Tristan sighed "I didn't want you to hear it from anyone else but business will be tricky from now on. There will be at times we have to take sides. It depends on who's side your family takes. There will be traitors and rebels in every family. If we have common enemies all would be well but if we go against people that one side protects it world be causing tension. I just wanted to give you the heads up. Its about taking sides when it comes to dealing with spies and traitors. FBI agents will from now on try to enter through different doors. One way is to go through people we trust... I just wanted to warn you now that if I ever go after a member of your family it is nothing personal. I have to do it... I know it will upset you but here is me giving you a warning from now. There are ... suspects who could be traitors but could be innocent too... Still they need to be investigated."