Oberyn Martell X Reader - Gifts

You had been in the market for hours, going to every store you could, looking at every single little trinket you could find, but you had had no luck. There was nothing in all of Sunspear, in all of Dorne, that was worthy of Loreza in any way. She was going to hate you, of course she would, she would be expecting something as beautiful and interesting as she was and she would not be getting it from you at this rate. Gods, if she hated you Oberyn would too, he adored his daughters and Loreza, being the youngest, would definitely alter his opinion of you.

You slumped down onto one of the benches in the gardens, taking a deep shaking breath before one of your guards came to kneel down beside you. Jorge had been head of you guard since you had married Oberyn and you had grown to become friends in your time together. "Are you alright, Princess?" he asked and you gave him a small faltering smile before you spoke.

"I'll be fine, Jorge, I just need a moment to myself, perhaps you could get some water from the kitchens for me," you asked, placing your hand lightly on his where it rested on the handle of his sword. Jorge didn't seem convinced. "I promise to wait in this very spot for you, you shouldn't be much more than 10 minutes anyhow," you added and he gave you a short nod, getting to his feet and heading towards the kitchen's at a slow jog. You let out a deep sigh once he was out of your sight, slumping down on the stone bench and allowing the tears to spring to your eyes as you thought of your failure. The poor child would be so disappointed in you, in your lack of a gift, you had promised her the world and there was nothing that would ever live up to your promises.

You sat in silence for a few moments before you heard slow footsteps coming towards you, causing you to draw your hand across your eyes, wiping away the tears that had spilt and plastering a false smile on your face. You knew it would not be convincing but hopefully your red eyes and cheeks would be ignored by the intruder. You finally looked in the direction of the footsteps that had come to halt beside you, finding Oberyn standing in the shade of the bushes around you.

"Jorge told me I would find you out here, My Dear," he spoke and you gave him the most honest smile you could muster before standing, pressing a light kiss to his lips.

"And what was it you needed, Sweetness," you asked, only to be answered with silence. Oberyn's eyes bore holes into your face as he watched you, causing you to look away in embarrassment. You couldn't tell him what was wrong; he would never understand.

"You've been crying," he broke the silence, his words somehow soft and firm at the same time. You nodded lightly, brushing your hands across your face once more in an attempt to hide the evidence of your sadness. "What is wrong, Y/N?" he finally asked, gently pulling your hands away from your face and pressing his forehead lightly against your own before pulling away, keeping his eyes locked to yours.

"Loreza will hate me," you mumbled, your lip quivering as your eyes filled once more, tears beginning to stream down your cheeks as you attempted to pull your wrist from Oberyn's grip.

"Don't be silly," Oberyn told you, loosening his grip but not quite releasing you. "Why on earth would Loreza hate you?" he added, waiting as you took a few deep breaths to steady yourself. You looked away, watching as a light breeze ran through the leaves on the bushes around you. "Look at me, Y/N," he pushed causing you to bite your lip as you turned back.

"I couldn't find her the right gift; I promised her she would love it and she'll be so disappointed in me, and her birthday's tomorrow," you rushed, shaking your head when you saw Oberyn begin to smile. "I knew you wouldn't understand, I just want to be alone," you told him, finally ripping your arms from his grip, folding them across your chest before moving away and sitting on the bench again.

"Come now, My Love, Loreza will not care if you give her a gift; she loves you," Oberyn spoke, his smile still clear on his face as he spoke. "And you do not owe her a gift," he added causing you to scoff.