Swan Song [boyxboy]

I looked at the once familiar territory as I drove. I could remember aimlessly driving around these streets for hours with my best friend Shane. When we were little, we were purposelessly get ourselves lost on our bikes just to kill time trying to find our way back home. Once we had the roads memorized, we would just drive around blasting music until we could think of something fun to do.

                But I hadn’t been home in nearly 6 months. I had come home from college for Christmas to spend time with my mom, and hadn’t been home since. I had gone with some friends to North Caroline over spring break. When college got out, I went to spend time with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins out in California for a few weeks. I was coming home for the first time now.

                I pulled into my driveway and sighed, shutting my car off. I got out and shut the door, popping open the trunk.

                The front door opened and I watched as my mother came outside. A smile came to her face and she walked over to me.

                “Welcome home,” she said and pulled me into her arms, hugging me tightly.

                I hugged her back. “Hey mom.”

                “I’ll help you bring your stuff inside. Did you have fun with your Uncle?” she asked. My Uncle Henry was her brother.

                “Yea. We raised hell throughout California,” I said as I gathered my stuff into my arms.

                I told my mom about my California trip as we brought things inside and to my bedroom. Once the car was empty, I sat down at the kitchen counter as she made me food.

                “You must be starving,” she said as she made me tacos.

                “Absolutely,” I said with a nod.

                “So, what are you going to do for the rest of the summer?” she asked. It sounded like a casual question, but I knew what laid underneath it.

                I shrugged at her. “Just hang around with the guys, I guess,” I said.

                As if on cue, my phone went off. I pulled it out of my pocket, seeing that I had a new text. I opened the text, mentally sighing as I did so.

                From: Shane

                You son of a bitch! You didn’t tell me you were coming home today. Get your ass over to my house so we can reunited after these long 6 months.

                I put my phone back in my pocket. Shane and I went to different colleges. We used to visit each other all the time, spending weekends together. But we had both been extremely busy this year, and hadn’t been able to visit each other during the second semester. I hadn’t seen him since the day before I left to head back after Christmas break.

                “Plans?” mom guessed.

                “Shane wants me to come over,” I said.

                She slid me a plate with tacos on it. “I think you should go. You haven’t seen him in half a year,” she said.

                “I’ll go,” I said with a slight nod. I was just praying that Shane’s little brother wouldn’t be home.

                Mitchell Marion.

                I hadn’t talked to him since last summer. Shane knew that I had no plans of talking to Mitch, so I doubted that he would be stupid enough to invite me over when Mitch was home.