Swan Song {3}

I washed my hands and dried them off on a towel before cautiously leaving the bathroom. Mitch’s door was shut, and I could hear music coming from his room. I hurried back out to the kitchen.

                “Heard the midget cornering you,” Shane said. “I was about to come kick his ass, but then I heard the door slam.”

                “I can handle myself around your little brother,” I said, jumping up on the counter. “Although I wish that asshole hadn’t taken my chips.”

                “I’m just pissed because he wasn’t supposed to be here,” Shane grumbled.

                “Where was he supposed to be?” I asked.

                “He said he was going a friend’s house. Trevor, I think,” Shane said, shrugging.

                I nodded, pretending to lose interest in the topic. But my mind flashed back to that day Mitch had gotten hurt. He hung around with his friends Trevor and Patrick and got in trouble. They were the ones who had called him to come help them, and he had gotten cut on his back. That was when things started to really fall apart.

                “So is he dating that Rio kid?” I asked.

                Shane shrugged. “I don’t know. Hate to point it out Jace, but you haven’t exactly kept it in your pants since you and Mitch broke up.”

                “Because I was single. Nothing wrong with having a few hook ups when you’re single,” I said.

                “I don’t know my brother’s sex life, and I don’t want to. But he might have had the same thoughts,” Shane said.

                I leaned back. “I don’t care what he does. Like I said, we’re single. We can screw who we want. I was just wondering. I’ve never seen Rio before.”

                “He went to the high school. I’m surprised you don’t know him. I’m not shocked that he and Mitch are such good friends. Rio is like a more outgoing version of Mitch,” he said.

                “Alright, enough about that. I was just curious,” I said, though I wanted to know more. I forced myself to stop this conversation. Mitch wasn’t my business anymore. We were over.

                “What are you idiots doing in the kitchen?” Jasper asked, walking in.

                “Hanging out. Chilling. Killing,” Shane said.

                Jasper shrugged. “As long as Jace kills you. I’d rather clean blood off the floor than pay for college.”

                “You’re such a caring man,” Shane said.

                “You know what? I’ll look the other way if you want to kill your brother and make it look like an accident. I’m already invested in your education,” Jasper said.

                “And dad of the year goes to…” Shane said and laughed.

                “Just kidding. Don’t kill your brother. Your mother will hurt me if she finds out I was behind it,” Jasper said. “Oh, right, also because murder is bad. Especially murdering your brother. That’s really bad.”

                “Parenting done right,” I said, flashing him thumbs up.

                “Well, I came in here to get a drink and then I was going to go talk to you guys, so you saved me a trip to Shane’s room. We’re going out to lunch tomorrow, if you want to come with us Jace,” Jasper said.