Swan Song {4}

“I’m bored. Let’s go in the hot tub,” Shane said, setting his controller down a few hours later. We had been playing video games and snacking for the past several hours.

                “Yea,” I said, jumping up and cracking my stiff neck.

                We changed into swim trunks and grabbed alcohol. Knowing that Mitch was going to be there with us, I grabbed extra alcohol.

                We went out to the back deck and slowly climbed into the hot tub. I relaxed once I was in the hot water.

                I leaned back and closed my eyes. I hated how everything was. Even Mitch and Shane didn’t seem close anymore. Sure they had always argued and fought, but they had been extremely close. Now it didn’t feel that way anymore.

                “I see we all had the same idea.”

                I opened my eyes at the sound of Rio’s voice. He and Mitch were standing in front of the hot tub in their swim trunks.

                I forced myself not to look at Mitch’s incredible body. Not to remember the passionate nights we had shared together last summer.

                “Mind if we join?” Rio asked. He also had a very nice body going for him, although it was nowhere near as amazing as Mitch’s.

                “Go for it. I don’t want to face Carol’s wrath,” Shane said.

                “No one wants to face Carol’s wrath,” Mitch said, getting in the hot tub.

                I shifted so that I was next to Shane. Mitch sat across from me and Rio sat across from Shane. We fell into an uncomfortable silence.

                “Is this going to happen every time Jace and I are anywhere near each other?” Mitch asked, raising an eyebrow. “I hate awkward silences.”

                “Shut up,” Shane said, splashing water at Mitch.

                “Ass,” Mitch grumbled.

                I reached over the edge of the hot tub and grabbed myself a beer. I twisted the cap off and took a swing form the bottle. I could feel Mitch’s eyes on me as I drank.

                “It’s a beer, Mitchell,” I said, my voice irritated. “I’m not a one beer queer.”

                “I didn’t say anything,” he said with a shrug.

                “You’re watching me, and I don’t like it,” I growled, looking up to glare at him.

                “Well of course I’m watching you. You’re sitting right across from me. I either have to physically move my head, or else watch Shane. You’re the more appealing of those options. Hand me a beer,” he said.

                I grabbed a beer and lazily tossed it to Mitch. He opened it and took a sip. I grabbed one for Shane and tossed another to Rio.

                “So…” Rio said after about two more minutes of awkward silence.

                Mitch sighed. “Seriously, I can’t stand this. Do you want me to sing What Hurts The Most to you?”

                “You’re such a bastard!” I snapped.

                “Mitch, quit it,” Shane said, his voice warning. “You’re making things way worse. Just shut your damn mouth.”