Swan Song {6}

Before the rush of feelings could claim me, I shoved him. I shoved him so hard, in fact, that he nearly fell and cracked his head open. But I managed to grip his arm, and pull him over enough that he landed on the ground instead of whacking his head on the counter.

                “What the hell,” I snarled, wiping my mouth.

                “I told you we could try for a relationship. I never stopped loving you, Jace. We can work this out, man,” he said, unfazed despite the fact that he was on his ass on the floor. He gripped the counter and pulled himself to his feet. “We’re not ready to date yet. But I just wanted you to know that I never gave up on that. We can work back up to something, at least. Even if it’s not what we had before. I don’t want to lose you.”

                “I don’t care. I want to lose you,” I said. “Which is why I’ve avoided all forms of contact with you for the past year.”

                “Jace, come on. You’re not the only one who got hurt. You’re walking around like I cut you out of my life. You cut me out of yours. I didn’t want things to end this way. I broke up with you, yes. But I still wanted to help you,” he said.

                “I don’t need help!” I snapped.

                “You don’t trust anyone!” he said, grabbing my arm as I moved to leave. “I get it, Jace. Your dad left.”

                “You don’t get it!” I cried, turning around and punching him. He staggered to the side, losing his grip on my arm. “You’ll never get it, Mitchell. Because you have a mom and dad who love you and would never leave you. You don’t know what it’s like to become just another fatherless kid. Just another kid with daddy issues. You’ll never understand that!”

                “But I understand that you’re broken. I get that in some weird way, you thought you were protecting everyone by pulling away. But that just hurts everybody, and you know it. You can still trust me, Jace,” Mitch said.

                “What do you mean ‘still’? I never did,” I said coldly.

                “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,” he sang.

                “I’ll shove sticks up your ass and bash your face in with stones,” I said. I pushed my hair back and spun around, leaving the bathroom and slamming the door.

                “Jace?” Carol asked in concern as I passed through the living room. “What happened?”

                “Your son needs to leave me the fuck alone!” I said furiously.

                “Jace, you two just need to talk calmly,” she said with a sigh.

                “Shut up,” I said, my voice so cold that she and Jasper stared at me in surprise. “Just shut up. Of course you take his side. He’s your son. But you know what? Maybe you better keep a better eye on him. He’s a shady bastard. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself. He hurts people!”

                “Jace, hold on. Calm down,” Jasper said gently. “We know how Mitch is. We know how Shane is. We know our boys. But you’re wrong. Mitch cares about you. He always has.”

                “Must be nice to have a father to defend you. That bastard takes it for granted. Just keep him away from me, or I will hurt him,” I warned them darkly before leaving the house.