Swan Song {16}

“Do you want to come over?” Mitch asked as we left the smoothie place.

                I shook my head at him. “Not now. I’ll come over tonight.”

                He searched my eyes and nodded. I nearly smiled; I loved that about Mitch. He didn’t need to ask questions. He just knew.

                I pulled into his driveway. “I’ll be over in a little,” I said.

                “Alright. Don’t bother texting me. I probably won’t have my phone,” he said, getting out of the car and walking up the driveway and into his house.

                I pulled out of the driveway and drove myself home. I got out of the car and went inside, into the living room, where mom was doing some paperwork.

                “Mom, I need to talk to you,” I said.

                She looked up at me. “Sure, Jace. What’s up?”

                I pushed my hair back with my hands nervously. “Mom…I need you to do something for me.”

                “What?” she asked curiously.

                “Remember that time dad came back and I was at Shane’s house?” I asked, speaking slowly and carefully.

                Mom’s face paled and she nodded. “He sat in the living room until you can home that night.”

                “Because I told you to let him in if he came back,” I said.

                “You were just a kid, Jace,” she said gently.

                “If he comes back when I’m not home, I want you to tell him to leave and never come back,” I said, my voice strong. “I’ll tell him myself if I’m home. But if I’m not home, I want you to tell him. I know that’s selfish to ask, but…we don’t need him, mom. You don’t need him and neither do I. He left, but it wasn’t our faults. Sucks to be him. He missed out on a wonderful wife and…and on a good son.”

                She stood up and came over to me, pulling me into her arms. I hugged her back, and she stroked my hair.

                “I’m so proud of you,” she whispered. “You’re so strong, Jace.”

                “I don’t want to be afraid to trust people anymore,” I said quietly. “My dad is gone. But not everyone will leave me. You never did. And neither did Mitch or Shane or Carol or Jasper. Not everyone leaves.” Rio and Hank flashed through my mind. “People we love will hurt us. But it doesn’t mean we should let them destroy us.”

                “I will never leave you, Jace. Never. Do you believe me?” she asked.

                I pulled away so that I could look into her eyes. “Yes. I trust you.”

                It’s been a long hard road without you by my side. Why weren’t you there all the nights that we cried? You broke my mother’s heart, you broke your children for life. It’s not okay, but we’re alright.

                That song flashed through my mind and I pulled my mom back into a hug. I smiled weakly, feeling like a weight had been lifted off of my chest.

                “We’re going to be just fine mom,” I promised her.

                “Yes we are,” she said, and I could hear the smile in her voice. “We’re going to be fine.”