Swan Song {15}

***Jace’s POV***

                “I’m tired,” I announced to Mitch. We were sitting in my basement watching Scrubs.

                “Let’s go to bed,” Mitch said, even though I knew he was wide awake.

                He stood up and I copied him. We stretched a little and I turned the TV off, glancing at Mitch, wondering if he would sleep in my bed tonight.

                “I’m going to piss. I’ll meet you in your room,” he said, classy as ever, before heading into the bathroom.

                I rolled my eyes and went upstairs. Mom was watching a movie in the living room and she motioned me over when she saw me.

                “Jace, is Mitch staying the night?” she asked.

                “Yea. Is that alright?” I asked.

                “Of course it’s alright. I was just wondering,” she said. She eyed me, but not with her usual worry. The look in her eyes was happy and loving. “Goodnight Jace. I love you.”

                “I love you too,” I said, slightly confused.

                I turned as I heard Mitch coming up the stairs. I went over to him and we went into my bedroom together.

                “I’m sleeping on your bed. Deal with it,” he said and jumped up onto my bed.

                “At least move over,” I said, shoving him and crawling in next to him.

                I pulled the covers over us and got myself into a comfortable position. It should’ve been awkward, but it wasn’t. We just laid there, not touching each other, comfortable in the darkness once I’d turn the lights off.

                “I know you won’t fall asleep for a while, and I’m sorry. I’m just really tired,” I said, closing my eyes.

                “It’s fine. I’m used to it. This happens with everyone,” Mitch said.

                We fell into a comfortable silence. I laid there, drifting off to sleep, the smell of vanilla lightly swirling around me and easing me into a deep sleep.

                                                                                                ***

                I rolled over sleepily, my stomach growling. Mitch was still fast asleep, and I mentally sighed. He wasn’t going to be very happy about this.

                “Wake up,” I said, lightly hitting him in the face.

                He groaned and smacked my hand away. “Don’t touch me,” he growled, pulling the covers over his head.

                “I’m hungry. Get up,” I said, yanking the covers away from him.

                “You’re a big boy. You can eat without me,” he said, burying his face into my pillow.

                “Wake up and seize the day,” I said, yanking the pillow out from under him.

                He forced his eyes open and glared at me. “I hate you. I’m still tired. I don’t like being woken up.”