Swan Song {10}

I opened my eyes a little, and immediately closed them again, because Mitch was awake and I didn’t want him to know that I was awake. Not just yet.

                His arms were still around me, and he was absent-mindedly running his hand through my hair in a soothing way. My head was on his chest, and I was comfortable and warm.

                The things I had said to him last night came back to me, and I forced away my emotions. I could feel myself getting close to a breakdown, and I didn’t want that.

                I laid with Mitch for a while, letting him run his hand through my hair. I wished so desperately that I could have a relationship. But I knew I couldn’t. Not with anyone.

                I started to get hungry, and mentally sighed as I opened my eyes and looked up at Mitch. He looked down at me.

                “Good morning,” he said, still running his hand through my hair.

                “We’re not getting back together,” I said.

                “Your hair is really soft,” he said, letting it curl around his fingers.

                “Mitch, seriously, don’t take last night the wrong way. We’re not getting back together,” I said flatly.

                “We-EEEE! Are never ever ever getting back together!” he sang.

                I smacked his chest. “Shut up. I mean it.”

                “Yea, yea, yea. Let’s get food,” he said, shifting and getting out of his bed. I copied him and we left his room, going out to the kitchen together.

                Shane glanced at us from the counter. “Well, at least I know you two weren’t fucking, because you would’ve woken me up. You loud bastards.”

                He winced as Jasper smacked him in the back of his head. “Don’t talk like a filthy bastard around your mother,” Jasper said sternly.

                “Seriously, I hate when you use the ‘f’ word,” Carol said in annoyance. “Let me ask you boys something: Do you want to hear about mine and Jasper’s sex life?”

                “No,” Shane and Mitch cried in horror.

                “Then what the hell makes you think we want to hear about yours?!” she said, glaring at them. “For the love of freaking god, talk about something else around your parents before we castrate you.”

                “Can we talk about how hungry I am?” Mitch said.

                “Can we talk about how you snuck out last night?” Carol said. “Even after I told you not to.”

                “Oh come on, you already knew it was happening,” Mitch said, sitting at the counter. I sat down next to him.

                “I should ground you. But instead I’m going to go grab your father’s gun, shoot you, and save myself from going insane,” Carol grumbled.

                “Please don’t shoot him. There will be blood all over the house, you’ll get arrested for murder, and I’ll be stuck raising the other kid by myself,” Jasper said miserably.

                “Send Shane to live with Rio,” I suggested.

                “Oh shit. I forgot about Rio,” Mitch said, pulling out his phone and checking it. “Oops, he’s been texting me for about three hours.”