Swan Song {13}

I groaned and rolled over. I yelped in surprise as I hit something, and then heard a crash and a groan.

                “Jace.” Mitch’s voice floated up to me.

                I peeked over the side of the bed to see him awkwardly lying on the floor. He glared up at me, rubbing his elbow.

                “There are other ways to wake me up!” he snapped, pushing himself to his feet. He shoved me over and crawled into bed next to me.

                “Ah…oops,” I said, rubbing the back of my neck. “My bad.”

                “Whatever. Do you remember last night?” he asked, pulling the blanket back over us.

                I nodded at him. “Yea. So that was really you who had Jake acting like my mom?”

                “That was me,” he confirmed. “I was worried about you.”

                I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me, pulling me closer to his body.

                “We need therapy,” I mumbled.

                “Probably,” Mitch agreed with a nod. “But that shits expensive. Anyways, I’ll talk to Trevor and Patrick today.”

                I dropped my gaze, focusing on a book he had lazily tossed to the floor. “Why are you giving up so much for me, Mitch?”

                “You idiot,” he said with a sigh. “Because I care about you. Because trust takes two people. I want you to be able to trust me.”

                “Do you trust me? Even after I left you for a year?” I asked.

                “Of course I trust you, Jace,” he said, forcing me to meet his eyes.

                I realized how close I was to his lips. But as much as I wanted to kiss him, I knew that I couldn’t. We weren’t ready to get back together. We were still fixing things.

                “I’m hungry. Let’s go get Rio and Shane and eat already,” Mitch said, sitting up and pulling me with him.

                We got out of his bed and went to Shane’s room. Rio was passed out on the couch, and Shane was sprawled on his bed.

                Mitch went over and grabbed Rio’s arm. He tugged him roughly and let him fall to the ground.

                “OW!” Rio’s eyes snapped open and he glared at Mitch. “You know, you could just be a normal person and shake my shoulder or something.”

                “Jace pushed me out of my bed this morning, so I figured you could enjoy the same experience,” Mitch said before going over to Shane.

                “Wake up,” he said, grabbing a pillow and violently whacking Shane with it.

                Shane sat up in surprise, scrambling away from Mitch and throwing his arms up defensively. He slowly lowered them and narrowed his eyes at Mitch.

                “Mitchell,” he growled. “You’re dead. Run.”

                Mitch dropped the pillow and darted out of Shane’s room. Shane jumped up and took off after him. Rio and I glanced at each other before shrugging and following the brothers.