Swan Song {2}

I stared at Mitch as he stood in the entryway. He didn’t seem at all surprised to see me sitting in the dining room.

                “Hey,” he said to all of us.

                “Mitchell, what are you doing back? I thought you were gone until tomorrow night,” Carol said, finally remembering how to speak.

                “Things came up,” Mitch said. “I might head out later tonight.”

                I couldn’t stop staring at Mitch. It had only been a year, but he seemed to be so different.

                His hair was shorter than before, and a little lighter, probably from the sun. He had a scar on his upper lip, and one above his eyebrow. He was wearing a tank top, and I could see the scar on his shoulder.

                He had definitely gotten a lot tougher. His body was muscled and nicely toned. He had gotten a nose ring at some point, and it glinted with the reflection of the dining room lights.

                He sat down in his usual seat. “Did you make enough for me? I’m starving,” he said.

                “Yea, here,” Jasper said, sliding the food to him. “We made extra to heat up for lunch tomorrow, but you can just eat it for dinner now.”

                He piled food onto his plate and glanced up at us. “What? It’s not the second coming of Christ. It’s just me.”

                “So you’re in for the night?” Carol asked.

                Mitch shrugged. “I don’t know. Like I said, I might go out later tonight.”

                “Well, alright then,” she said and turned her attention back to us. “So, Shane, what were you saying?”

                As Shane started to talk again, I kept my attention on my plate. I didn’t want to see Mitch. I wanted him to finish eating and go lock himself in his room.

                After a few minutes, Carol and Jasper got up to put the dishes in the sink. Mitch was still eating, scrolling through his phone and texting as he did so.

                “Come on Jace; we can grab some drinks and go in the pool,” Shane said, standing up.

                “Getting hammered tonight?” Mitch asked.

                “Even if we are, it’s none of your business midget,” Shane said.

                “Just curiosity,” Mitch said.

                I pulled out my phone as it buzzed. I mentally groaned, realizing that my hands were shaking. I just wanted to get away from Mitch already.

                I started replying to a text and nearly yelled as my phone slipped out of my hands. I watched as it fell down, landing on Mitch’s foot since he had turned to face Shane.

                “Ow,” Mitch said mildly.

                “Sorry,” I said, not meeting his eyes as I bent down to pick it up.

                He grabbed it and held it out to me. I took it, grumbling out a thanks and shoving it in my pocket. My hands were still lightly trembling.