Chapter 4

The Tuesday following Labour Day weekend marked the official first day of school at New York University. The sun slowly rose to meet the purplish-blue sky with no clouds blocking its way. The sun's rays shone in Lexi's room at the right angle to hit her square in the face. It woke her just before her alarm went off, causing her to grumble faintly. She sat up in bed to stretch her back and arms, and then began making her way to the main room. She glanced at the time on her phone, and it read five AM on the dot. She yawned as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Morning."

Lexi jumped a little, only to realize that it was just Nikita. She laughed in a dry manner and nodded politely.

"Good morning. I'm sorry, I didn't expect you to be here."

"I have an eight AM class on Tuesdays, thanks to Calculus I," Nikita explained. "You have class at eight, too?"

"Yeah, Intro to Academic Writing," Lexi revealed. She paused to begin making her coffee and oatmeal. "I wish I didn't have to take it, but it's required for my program."

"I have to take a writing course for my program, Computer Engineering. But it's Technical Writing, not the one you're taking."

"That makes sense. So, you're in Computer Engineering? That sounds cool."

"It is! Felipe's also taking it, which is nice 'cause we can study together and work on projects."

"When he's not too busy hitting on you or any other woman."

Nikita snorted. "You're learning!"

Lexi laughed as she sat at the table with her coffee and breakfast. Nikita soon stood up and cleaned her dishes before disappearing into her room. It deflated Lexi a bit; she didn't think her roommate liked her one bit. She had a feeling that Nikita would've preferred no roommate than to have her as one. But Lexi ignored the thought so she could enjoy her breakfast. Once she finished eating, she also disappeared into her bedroom to get ready.

As she later did her hair and makeup, she heard the door to her dorm open and shut. Lexi realized that Nikita must've left for class already. It was now just after 6:30— quite early to be leaving for class. But Lexi didn't read into it; she instead focused on finishing her morning routine. She finally exited her dorm for class at seven on the dot.

It took quite some time for Lexi to make it to the building where her class was. Worse, it turned out to be on the fifth floor, and the elevator was out of order. By the time Lexi finally made it to her classroom, she was slightly out of breath.

I hope to God that elevator's fixed before the next class, she thought.

Lexi could only collapse at her seat when she went inside the empty classroom. She laughed a little at the ridiculousness of what she had endured just to attend one stupid class. Then again, she knew that the rest of her classmates would also have to make the exact same trek to get here, too.

For about a half hour, no one else entered the classroom. Lexi used the peace and quiet to her advantage by reading a book she'd tucked into her bag. She got so into it that she didn't hear the door open and shut. She did however notice that someone had suddenly chosen to sit right beside her.

Seriously? You had to sit RIGHT beside me, Lexi thought. She marked her page and shoved her book away, ready to give a nasty look to the inconsiderate student. What she didn't expect was to be face-to-face with someone she'd only met last night.

"Isaac?! Jesus, I didn't realize that was you!"

"I thought it was you," he said with a chuckle. "Is it okay if I sit here?"