Chapter 32

Lexi arrived at the off-campus apartment to the familiar sight of college students playing drinking games, talking, and dancing to loud music. Nikita followed close behind until she spotted the kitchen. She made out someone inside handing out beer and mixed drinks, so she promptly excused herself to grab something.

God, I hope tonight isn't too painful, Lexi thought as she continued to explore the small apartment.

She entered the living room and spotted Felipe almost instantly. He was chatting up a few girls who already looked pretty tipsy. The group walked away moments later, so Lexi decided to greet him.

"Hey, how's it goin'?"

"Hey, Lexi! I didn't think you'd come!" Felipe exclaimed. "I'm doing much better now, thanks for asking."

"I only came 'cause I wanted to keep an eye on Nikita," Lexi admitted. "I don't plan on drinking tonight. It doesn't appeal to me, to be honest."

"Hey, it's all good. You don't needto drink to have fun."

"True. Hey, have you seen anyone else from our friend group?"

"Isaac's here somewhere, but he went to the bathroom a while ago. I haven't seen him since, though. DeShawn bailed at the last minute— he needed to finish up a couple assignments. I don't think Cassie or Mariana are here."

"Aww, that's a shame."

Felipe chuckled.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that," Lexi remarked. "They're still your friends."

"Nah, I get it," Felipe said. "I know they've given you a hard time. Cassie more than Mariana, but still."

Lexi nodded without a word.

"Anyways, enough about that shit," Felipe continued. "I almost forgot to mention that you look so damn sexy tonight."

At that, Lexi glanced at her outfit— black skinny jeans and a black band T-shirt— and rolled her eyes. She hadn't even tried to look good, having just thrown on the first few things she could find in her closet. She immediately sensed what her friend was trying to do, and she wasn't having it.

"I've said it before, and I'll just keep saying it— don't even think about it."

Felipe couldn't help but shake his head with another chuckle. "You're stubborn as hell."

"And determined as hell to prove my point. I'm not interested, and I'm never gonna be interested in having sex with you. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I'm not one to do any of that. I'd say the same thing to any other guy that tried the same shit, so it has nothing to do with you personally."

"Wow...really?"

Lexi nodded. "I hope it doesn't upset you 'cause I consider you to be a good friend. I'd hate to ruin that over something silly."

"I see where you're coming from. I'll stop trying to get you into bed."

"I'm sorry-"

"No, don't apologize. You were nothing but nice about it, and I appreciate that."

"Uh...you're welcome, I guess?"

Felipe smirked. "I'm not upset, I promise."

That statement made Lexi relax in an instant. "Oh, good. Go have fun flirting with other women, okay? Also, if you're looking for Nikita, I last saw her in the kitchen."

"Thanks, Lexi. I'll see you later!"

After Felipe left her sight, she exited the crowded living room to explore the rest of the place. She noticed that it was a two-bedroom apartment, with one door closed and another open. She didn't bother checking the closed-off bedroom in case people were inside doing God knows what. So, she entered the remaining bedroom to take a breather. She entered and sat on the bed in the dark, only to realize that she almost sat on someone in the process.