Chapter 18

The flight from New York City to San Diego was long and exhausting, but Lexi didn't mind one bit. She was just anxious to see her family after having been gone for about three months. While she didn't think that she was homesick, she was looking forward to having a break from New York's cold autumn weather, as well as the stupid drama going on with Cassie. The prospect of visiting her parents for Thanksgiving made the two long flights worth it.

Once Lexi made it to her hometown, she didn't waste any time collecting her luggage before locating her father in the airport. She gave him a big hug, and didn't hesitate to squeeze tight.

"Did you miss me?"

"Of course! I missed you and Mom a lot."

Father and daughter promptly left the airport and began the drive home.

"How's New York City treating you?" her father asked.

"Good! Well, except for the weather. I've discovered that I hate the cold with a passion. It's freezing in New York, and it hasn't even snowed yet!" Lexi revealed.

Her father chuckled. "I figured that the cold was gonna be a shock to your system."

"I guess I thought it wouldn't be as bad as it is."

The rest of the drive was uneventful, with the two family members catching up on various things. Lexi relayed a few funny stories from her classes and job, while her father told a few anecdotes about work. He also explained to his daughter what he and her mother had been up to since she'd moved out.

"Sounds like I've missed a lot," she remarked as her father pulled into the driveway.

"You have, and yet you really haven't. It hasn't been that different since you moved out. The biggest difference is that you're not around. Don't think we haven't noticed your absence; I know your mother definitely has. She goes in your room and sits on your bed one in a while."

"You've seen her do this?"

"A couple times," her father admitted. "She caught me watching her once, and I saw that she was a little teary-eyed. She misses you more than you'll ever know."

Lexi had to swallow hard before speaking again. "Well, I really miss her, too. And I've missed you lots."

Her father parked before looking dead in her eyes. "I know you have."

They shared a big hug, with Lexi fighting the urge to cry the whole time. She somehow managed to keep herself together, and smiled wide as they got out of the car. She'd barely reached the trunk to retrieve her suitcase when her mother flew out of the house.

"LEXI!"

She wrapped her arms tight around her daughter, as if she wanted to squeeze every ounce of life out of her. Lexi didn't complain, instead returning the hug while fighting back tears for the second time.

"Honey, let her breathe and get her suitcase. She only just got home," her father said.

Her mother reluctantly released Lexi, allowing her a chance to catch her breath. She let out a small laugh as she collected her luggage.

"Hi, Mom," she greeted. "I missed you a lot."

"I missed you, too. Don't you ever leave me again, okay?"

Lexi laughed, and both of her parents didn't hesitate to join. They then went into their home, where they gave Lexi some time to put her suitcase away and unwind after her long trip home. She met up with them in the kitchen just as her mother had begun preparing lunch.