Chapter 6

Several days passed by with little excitement. Everyone seemed to be getting used to their respective routines, and how to juggle school with everything else going on in their lives. It was a struggle at first, but everyone managed to get the hang of it. Any excuse to blow off steam was more than welcome, even if it was only for a couple hours.

That mindset was what had led Isaac and Felipe to DeShawn's dorm to eat copious amounts of junk food and play numerous video games. It had been DeShawn's idea for the three to get together for some guy time on a lazy Tuesday evening. Isaac was grateful for the invitation; he needed time away from his homework and Cassie.

Cassie...

Just thinking of her name stirred up mixed emotions. She seemed to be better since their fight, but Isaac wasn't sure if she was truly over it. Also, he kept talking to Lexi off and on during the class they shared despite Cassie's feelings towards her. The two didn't spend any time together outside of class; Isaac wanted to, but Lexi kept turning him down for some bullshit reason. He wanted to call her out on it because it was silly, but he didn't bother. Lexi didn't want to upset Cassie again, so she kept her distance from him at any chance. It stung, but Isaac tried to not let it bother him.

"DUDE!"

Isaac jumped. He looked at Felipe with bewildered eyes.

"You died again!"

When Isaac's head whipped towards the TV screen, he realized that Felipe had been right. Thank to not paying attention to the first-person shooter video game, his character ended up getting killed. Frustrated that he couldn't stop getting distracted, he rolled his eyes and took a bite out of his deluxe pizza.

"Is everything alright, dude?" Felipe asked.

"Yeah," Isaac said in a dismissive tone. He wasn't about to unload his girl problems onto his single friends. They wouldn't want to hear about all that shit.

DeShawn sensed that Isaac wasn't alright, but also got the impression that his friend didn't want to discuss it. So, he asked him and Felipe what they thought of Lexi, mostly to change the subject.

"She's nice to talk to," Isaac said. "We have class together, so we usually sit together and shoot the shit. She's been pleasant so far."

Felipe pouted. "Aww, come on! I'm so jealous. I wish I had a class with her."

"You're only saying that 'cause you just wanna hit on her," DeShawn said with a chuckle.

"No, I want to get into her pants," Felipe clarified.

"Oh, sorry, my mistake," DeShawn replied with newfound sarcasm.

"She won't sleep with you," Isaac piped up. "Lexi doesn't seem like that kind of girl."

"You're wrong," Felipe blurted.

"And how do you know?"

"I just do."

Isaac scoffed.

"Listen," Felipe said, "I bet you both that I can sleep with Lexi by the end of the school year! What do you guys say?"

DeShawn rolled his eyes, and Isaac followed suit almost immediately.

"What's the matter? You don't wanna be proven wrong?"

"Oh, that's not it," DeShawn explained. "I just think you're being stupid. You're gonna lose, dude, and you know it."

"No, he actually believes he's gonna win," Isaac pointed out. "He's dead serious, man."