Chapter 9

Tuesday rolled around before Isaac knew it. He hadn't heard a word from either Cassie or Lexi, but that didn't stop him from worrying about what had occurred between them. He knew that Cassie most likely confronted Lexi over helping him study for his test. He tried to find out if anything had happened, but neither woman returned his texts or calls. By the time he had to leave for his grammar test, his head was clouded with worries about the past weekend.

When Isaac got to class, he found that the lecture hall was already full of students getting in some last-minute studying. Lexi was nowhere to be found, but he still took his regular seat. He studied a bit more so he could remember the few concepts that still escaped him. His eyes drifted to the door once in a while, hoping to catch her coming in.

He didn't see Lexi until a minute or so before class began. He smiled at her, and she nodded in return. She didn't go to her regular seat beside him; she instead sat close to the door with her eyes never leaving the front of the class, or the ground. She didn't look over at Isaac, or even in his general direction.

Yeah, something happened, he thought.

He briefly considered asking her to talk after class, but his professor's announcement of their test starting destroyed that idea in a flash. Isaac had to stop thinking about what might have happened so he could focus on this stupid test.

Fortunately, it was a lot easier than he had anticipated. He managed to breeze through in less than 45 minutes, but he was still slower than Lexi. He heard someone get up no less than half an hour after the test had began, and saw that she was the first to finish. She didn't look at Isaac at all as she returned to her desk, gathered her things, and left.

Isaac didn't bother trying to text or call her again after he left class. He knew that any attempt to contact her would be in vain. There wasn't anything else he could do, except talk things out with both women separately. He chose to talk to Lexi later, when she was done class for the day. He didn't want to fight; he only wanted to talk things out. He also made a mental note to visit Cassie's dorm not long after her last class ended. He needed to have a little chat with her, too.

***

Lexi was a nervous mess from the moment she had woken that morning. She couldn't stop worrying that Cassie would find her and bitch her out again for hanging out with Isaac. Bits and pieces of their encounter would pop up in her mind every now and then, causing her to grow even more nervous. She just wanted to avoid fighting for as long as she could.

Fortunately, she didn't run into Cassie on campus. In fact, Lexi's morning had been really quiet, save for her grammar test. Once she had finished it, she chose to spend some time at the library to work on a couple papers for other classes. She'd contemplated returning to her dorm, but changed her mind out of sheer laziness. She spent a few hours working until she decided to get a quick lunch before her afternoon class.

When she got to the school cafeteria, she spotted Nikita and Felipe sitting together and chatting away. She ignored them as she purchased a sandwich and chips, and found a seat far away from them. But before she could begin eating, Felipe approached her with a kind grin.

"Hey, do you wanna eat with us?"

"Are you sure that's alright?"

Felipe nodded, so Lexi moved herself and her things to their table within a couple minutes. Nikita saw her and smiled.

"Hey, Lexi," she greeted, "what's up?"

"Not much— I was just working on some stuff in the library. What about you guys?"