Chapter 16

It was almost six in the morning when Lexi found herself wide awake. She kept tossing and turning in bed for a half hour or so, but it proved useless in getting her back to sleep. She hopped out of bed and made herself a cup of coffee— not to wake herself up, but just out of habit. While in the kitchen, she spotted Nikita's empty bedroom, and realized that her roommate hadn't made it home. But she quickly remembered Nikita's text from last night, and subsequently let go of any worries she had. She grabbed her phone and shot her a quick text.

Lexi: Hey, hope you had fun last night. If you're looking for me, I'm still in our dorm.

Lexi returned to her bedroom with her coffee in hand and sipped the piping hot beverage as she tried working on her novel. Her work in progress was a crime thriller about an average woman who becomes a serial killer due to a life-long hatred of men. The premise was bleak and dark, but she was determined to turn it into an interesting thriller. She'd written the first chapter a few days ago and was now working on the second. The only sounds heard throughout her bedroom were rock music playing from her phone, and her fingers typing away on the keyboard. She remained in bed for the next couple hours typing furiously, stopping on occasion to sip her coffee until it was empty.

Lexi had managed to write chapters two and three when her phone suddenly went off, indicating that she had a new text. She quickly moved her laptop to the side, and was surprised that Nikita had responded to her earlier text.

Nikita: Hey, Lexi! Felipe and I are about have breakfast at this diner called Kate's Kitchen. Felipe insists on joining...don't ask why. Do you wanna come, too?

As if on cue, Lexi's stomach growled louder than she'd expected. Her cheeks reddened a bit at the idea of meeting up with her roommate and one of her friends, especially after what had happened last night. But she was hungrier than she cared to admit, so she reluctantly accepted the offer.

Lexi: If you insist.

About half an hour later, Lexi had taken the subway to Kate's Kitchen, and stood outside its doors for Nikita and Felipe. She only had to wait less than five minutes before they showed up.

"Morning," Nikita greeted in a tired voice.

Lexi couldn't help but smirk. "Are you okay?"

"No. I drank way too much last night," Nikita confessed. "I don't know why I do it 'cause I get terrible hangovers every damn time."

"Don't worry, I made sure to take care of her," Felipe said with a tired wink.

"Uhh..."

"Don't ask, Lexi," Nikita insisted. "Now, let's go grab some breakfast. I'm starving!"

The trio made their way inside, where they sat at the counter. Lexi sat between Nikita and Felipe, who both looked more hungover than she'd initially noticed. It was a comical sight of two students practically slouching in their seats.

"I just want something greasy," Felipe groaned.

"You seemed fine a moment ago," Lexi pointed out. "What's changed?"

"That was all a façade," Nikita explained. "He was trying to be flirty, but I think his hangover's taking a toll on him."

"You got that right," Felipe admitted. "How are you, though? I heard what happened last night... That sucks."

Lexi winced; she'd been hoping that the stupid incident wouldn't be brought up during breakfast. "I'm fine."

There was a brief lull in their conversation, as everyone had to place their orders when a server showed up.