Chapter 23

Once Christmas had come and gone, New Year's Eve approached shortly after. People made plans to spend time with family or friends either at home, or out at a bar or restaurant. Isaac and Cassie were one of many couples trying to come up with what to do, albeit last minute. Unfortunately, the phone call about it wasn't a pleasant one, to put it mildly.

"Why the hell do we have to go to some stupid party with our friends?" Cassie whined. "Can't we just go out alone?"

Isaac sighed, exhausted. "We've gone out on lots of dates. I'd really like to spend time with our friends tonight. I'm not saying you can't come!"

"I know that. I just don't understand why you don't seem too keen on me being alone with you!"

"I never said that. Look, I don't get what the big deal is. I want to spend time with you andour friends! This is such a stupid thing to argue about."

Cassie exhaled loudly. "True, but it never would've started if you hadn't insisted on going to this dumb party."

"Enough. Can we please drop it and try to have a nice night?" Isaac's voice edged on begging.

"FINE. But I'm still mad at you for fucking my night up.".

Cassie hung up before Isaac could respond, leaving him fuming. He didn't think his idea of the two hanging out with friends was so bad, but she clearly thought otherwise. The fight had been absurd, but it wasn't something he wanted to think about. He tried to push it away from his thoughts so he could hopefully enjoy his night.

Despite Isaac's best efforts though, the fight was still on his mind when he arrived at Felipe's place later that night. His parents were away to celebrate New Year's Eve with their friends, leaving the whole house to their son. The party was already well underway when Isaac and Cassie arrived, the muffled music coming from the home being a dead giveaway. Once they were inside, Cassie immediately left her boyfriend in search of Mariana. Isaac just shook his head, but said nothing as he went off to look for Felipe. He found him in the kitchen, chatting away with DeShawn.

"Dude, you're finally here!" Felipe exclaimed.

"How was your Christmas?" DeShawn asked.

"It was alright," Isaac replied, shrugging. "You?"

"Quiet, but good."

"Mine was good, but I'm disappointed that I haven't gone on many dates since break started," Felipe chimed in.

DeShawn scoffed. "Don't you think that spending time with family is more important than that?"

"Obviously!" Felipe protested. "But I'm still sad about that. I'm allowed, aren't I?"

Isaac rolled his eyes and shook his head at the silly bickering. Felipe noticed, only to laugh in response.

"I wasn't serious," he added. "I do enjoy spending time with family. I hope you know that."

"Yeah, I know," Isaac said in a bored voice. "I'll see you guys around."

Just as he was about to leave, DeShawn grabbed his shoulder to stop him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Okay, I call bullshit!" Felipe sang.

Isaac rolled his eyes again. "It's not bullshit."

"It is," DeShawn argued. "Seriously, dude— what's wrong?"

"Cassie and I got in a dumb fight, that's all."

Now it was both DeShawn's and Felipe's turn to roll their eyes.

"Yeah, I knew you guys probably don't wanna hear it, so that's all I'll say about it," Isaac added.