Chapter 17

After few days after the Halloween party, Lexi and Isaac were back in their Intro to Academic Writing class. With Thanksgiving break fast approaching, they were more focused on not falling behind in their respective classes. But as their class went for break that day, the two decided on a whim to grab some coffee at a small stand not far from the lecture hall. It gave them the chance to escape for a little while.

"This class is so friggin' boring," Isaac whined.

Lexi shrugged as they moved up in the queue. "At least it's not grammar-related bullshit."

"True, but it's still boring. I know you like it."

"Not really."

Isaac frowned. "But you're majoring in Creative Writing."

"Essays aren't the same as creative writing.".

"Oh. Yeah, I get what you mean."

Lexi giggled. "It's alright, I know where you're coming from. Let's just say that I wish there was a little more creativity in this class. Maybe then I wouldn't find it so dry."

"Gotcha," Isaac said with a silly wink.

A lull fell as they slowly reached closer to the front of the line.

"Lexi, I've been meaning to say something about what happened at the party," Isaac suddenly said.

"Oh?" Lexi tilted her head to the left, confused.

"I'm sorry for Cassie's behaviour. I think she was pretty drunk— not that that's okay, I'm just saying that she's always been a lightweight. I'm not totally sure, but I think that's why she did that. I don't know if she ever apologized for it, so I figured I would at least."

"It's honestly not a big deal. I haven't lost any sleep over it, so you shouldn't either. But I do appreciate your apology regardless."

"Well, I still feel pretty bad," Isaac confessed. "Here, let me buy your coffee."

"What? No, that's not necessary."

"I insist. I'll do this, and then we won't speak of it again."

Lexi rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Alright, you win. Thanks."

Isaac chuckled as he ordered a medium black coffee for himself, and an extra-large latte for her.

"Long day ahead?" he remarked while they waited for their drinks.

"Always, but I'm also a bit of a coffee addict."

The two laughed, but were cut off by a familiar face who'd seemed to come out of nowhere.

"Oh, hey Cassie," Isaac greeted.

"And just what in the hell are you doing?!" Cassie shrieked.

Many bystanders turned to watch what was going on. Lexi, not wanting to deal with the situation, turned her back on both Cassie and Isaac. This move only seemed to enrage the former more.

"Don't fucking ignore me!!! How dare you?!"

Lexi finally turned herself around to see Cassie fuming. Her eyes seemed to almost contain fire, and her face was beet red. Her hands were balled tightly into fists, unnerving Lexi enough that she bit the inside of her right cheek.

Sensing that a fight was about to break out, Isaac grabbed his girlfriend and dragged her away fast. He took them both to a secluded hallway for a little talk.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" he exclaimed in a rather hushed voice. "Did you have to do that in public?"

Cassie didn't seem to hear him. "Please explain to me why the fuck you bought Lexi her friggin' coffee! Is it because you like her? Or did she seduce you into doing it?!"

"Stop! That isn't it at all," Isaac insisted.

"I call bullshit on that! Why else would you do that?!"

"Because I felt bad for her about what happened at the Halloween party, so it was an apology of sorts."

"Oh, please! Do you really think I'm gonna buy that shit?"

Isaac scowled. "That's the fucking truth, Cassie. I don't know how else to put it. That reminds me— did you ever apologize to Lexi about what you did to her at the party?"

Cassie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "Just don't do anything like that again."

She stormed off past Isaac, who found himself smirking once she was gone. He knew that she hadn't gotten around to apologizing to Lexi for the incident. It also confirmed that what had happened had most likely been intentional, rather than an accident like she had claimed. The whole situation had Isaac in a less than pleasant mood, but he concealed his true feelings with a fake smile as he hustled back to class.

Lexi was already in her regular seat with her and Isaac's drink. She handed his off to him once he sat down. Thankfully, class wouldn't resume for a few more minutes, so he had time to relax beforehand.

"Thanks for grabbing those," he said. "I'm really sorry about that."

"Oh, it's fine; it wasn't your fault. What happened?" Lexi asked.

"I called her out for losing her shit in public, and then she called me out for buying you coffee. I told her I did it to apologize for what she did to you this past weekend. Cassie didn't believe me, so I said, 'That's the fucking truth. I don't know how else to put it.'. And then I asked if she ever apologized for the shit she pulled."

"She never did, by the way."

"Yeah, I figured she never did. And my conservation with her only proved it. I'm also convinced that she intentionally spilled beer on you."

Lexi laughed a little. "I figured that's what actually happened."

"I think she's not happy that I brought it up. She stormed off after telling me to not do that again."

"Wow."

"So...yeah, I guess we're fighting once again. Again, I'm sorry about her freaking out on you. That wasn't right."

"Thank you. I'm just glad that you stepped in to drag her away before things got ugly."

Isaac chuckled. "Me too."

The professor abruptly informed the class that the lecture was about to restart, prompting Isaac and Lexi to tune back to their class.

I cannot wait to head home for Thanksgiving to see my family, Lexi thought. I seriously need a break from Cassie.