Chapter 36

Lexi was thrilled to be attending a party for a change. Having finished her last exam the day before, she was more than happy to celebrate successfully completing her first year of university. While she had no plans to get drunk, she still danced the night away for a couple hours without a care in the world. Nikita was also there, presumably chatting away with DeShawn or someone else while slowly getting tipsy. Felipe was off, also drinking while hitting on any woman that happened to cross his path. That thought made Lexi giggle, as she imagined how unsuccessful he most likely was, as per usual. She walked away from the living room— which had temporarily turned into a dancefloor— to grab a much-needed water bottle.

"Hey!"

Startled, Lexi looked around and saw Isaac walking towards her. Lexi approached him with a warm smile on her face.

"Hey, how's it goin'?" she asked as the pair hugged.

"Alright," Isaac replied over the thumping music. "I was looking for a familiar face, and I finally found one."

"Are you sure you wanna hang out with me? I'm not doin' a whole lot."

"Of course I'm sure! You seem like you're having a great time tonight."

"Yeah, I am! My exams are done, so I'm just gonna enjoy myself. Besides, I leave for San Diego tomorrow, so it's technically my last night in New York City. I might as well enjoy it as much as possible."

"You're heading back to San Diego tomorrow?"

Lexi nodded. "Don't worry— I'll be back at NYU when school starts again."

"Oh, I'm glad to hear that!" Isaac exclaimed. "Are you gonna live with Nikita next year?"

"Yeah, we got an apartment together not too far from campus. What about you?"

"I managed to find a shabby little house with Felipe and DeShawn. It's only five minutes from campus."

"You can't beat that. Besides, it's not like any of us can afford nice places. You just have to take what you can get, right?"

"Right. Anyways, I'm glad I found you because I was hoping you could help me tonight."

"Sure, what's up?"

"I was hoping you could be my wing woman."

Lexi raised her eyebrows. "You want me to be your wing woman?"

"I've seen a few women here that've caught my eye, but I'm too much of a chickenshit to approach them alone," Isaac explained sheepishly. "I'm not about to find Felipe and join him 'cause he likes to hit on women by himself. At least, that's what I've seen."

"And you want me to make you look presentable to the ladies?"

Isaac shrugged and nodded. "Pretty much, yeah."

The idea made Lexi laugh, but she knew that he wasn't kidding about being nervous. He had a pleading look in his eyes, and he seemed anxious to get her help. She nodded in response.

"Sure, I'll tag along."

"Really?! Oh man, thanks, Lexi," Isaac replied. "Thanks for being a good friend."

"Don't worry about it. Anything to help, that's all."

The pair hi-fived before heading into another room to help Isaac build his confidence with women. With Lexi by his side, he wasn't as nervous as he had been earlier. He was glad to have a good friend helping him out.

***

Cassie was not at that house party with her friends. She'd caught wind through social media that Isaac was going to be there, so she wisely chose to stay away. She didn't want to cause a scene in front of so many people after consuming too much alcohol; the chance of that happening was high. It wouldn't be nice of her to ruin the end of the school year over this. Isaac deserved to enjoy himself with his friends for the night.

That led to Cassie spending the night in her dorm with Mariana. The two were chatting over chick flicks they had watched before, killing time before heading off to bed for the evening. It was a more low-key night than they'd wished, but it was better than doing nothing at all.

"I can't wait for summer," Mariana remarked. "I'm so done with university."

"Just for this year, I hope."

"Oh, yeah. I'm so excited to go to Mexico next month with my parents. I need a vacation!"

Cassie rolled her eyes out of jealousy. "Yeah, whatever...enjoy yourself, I guess. Meanwhile, I'll be stuck working at H&M full-time until school starts up again."

"Maybe you'll run into some cute guys this summer. There's nothing wrong with that."

"I don't care about meeting cute guys. I'm not going to date anymore."

"What?! Why not?"

"I want Isaac back."

Mariana raised her eyebrows with a frown. "Why the fuck do you want to do that? You two fought like crazy! You even said that you were kinda glad it was over because of that! Are you fucking crazy?!"

"I'm not crazy; I've given it a lot of serious thought," Cassie said, "and I think we need to give our relationship another go. Isaac never really fought to make things work, and I was guilty of that, too. We needed to work harder to stop fighting. I'm gonna get him back, no matter what."

"But what about Lexi?" Mariana asked.

"I'm beyond done dealing with that one. She's not an issue anymore, in my opinion. But if she doesbecome an issue again... Well, let's just say that she's gonna hear it from me. I don't care that she'll be back in Cali 'cause I'll still make sure she stays out of it."

"I don't think any of this sounds like a good idea. I'm sorry, but you need to let this go."

Cassie shrugged. "You're free to think that, but I don't care. I want Isaac to come back to me anyways. It may take just the summer, or even longer than that. Either way, I'll make sure that he and I get back together. And no onehad better get in my way."

***

That's the end of Lexi's In A New City! I want to thank each and every one of you for joining me in my first ever Wattpad story! You all rock so much.

As for its sequel, Lexi's Love & War...I'm not going to release new chapters until January 2019. I need a lot of time to not only write it, but to heavily edit it as well. I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Thanks again for all the love and support. Until next time!

- Elizabeth