Chapter 24

Lexi returned to New York City just two days into the New Year. Most NYU students had yet to return from Christmas break, with Nikita being one of them. Better yet, Lexi wasn't expected to return to her job at Barnes & Noble's until the start of the new semester. So, she was able to enjoy a couple days of peace and quiet in her dormitory. She tried getting back to work on her novel, but her efforts didn't produce much of a result. She then chose to do various other tasks to keep herself busy— cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping, and cooking. All of this may have been tedious or boring for other students, but it all brought her a lot of nerdy joy. It also made her feel more prepared for the first week of school.

By the Saturday before school rolled around, plenty of students had returned to the dormitory to resume their studies in a few days. It wasn't until that afternoon when Nikita arrived with her parents in tow, not to mention luggage and a ton of groceries.

"Hey, how are you?" Lexi greeted.

"I'll be better once I get all this crap put away," Nikita grumbled.

"Yeah, that looks like a lot. Would you like some help?"

"That'd be great, thank you," Nikita's mother piped up.

Nikita laughed. "Thanks, Lexi."

It took about an hour, but Lexi, Nikita, and her parents got everything unpacked and moved in. Once her parents left a few hours later, Nikita immediately collapsed onto the futon.

"Long day?"

"Not nearly as long as yours was, I bet."

"I moved back in a few days ago, so I've had time to clean, get groceries... all that fun stuff."

Nikita shook her head in disbelief. "Jesus, you're so damn organized. I wish I wasn't so lazy. Otherwise, I'd do the same."

"I can help you get into the habit of being organized."

"Nah, not right now. But thanks for the offer."

Lexi rolled her eyes as she sat beside her roommate. "Wow, you really are lazy."

"Whatever," Nikita laughed. She paused to sit up. "Anyways, how was your break?"

"Fine, thank you. I'm just happy I was able to spend time with not just my parents, but also with a lot of my extended family. It was nice. How about you?"

"Good, thanks. I kinda wish it was longer, but hey, what can you do? Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to ask: have you talked to Isaac since your guys' fallout?"

"Nope," Lexi revealed, "and I have no intention of doing so anytime soon."

Nikita frowned. "I don't wanna sound like a mom, but you were spending a lot of time alone before the semester ended. I mean, yeah, you talked to DeShawn and Felipe and me a little, but that was about it. You don't have to party or drink constantly, but you spent so much time alone that it kinda bothered me, if I'm being totally honest."

"I know, but I like being alone," Lexi countered.

Not wanting to start anything, Nikita turned the conversation to a different direction. "Well, you should at least join us when we go to The Bean's Knees tonight for supper."

"You guys already planned to hang out? Wow, I feel so out of the loop."

"Sorry, I meant to tell you earlier, but I totally forgot."

"It's okay. I guess I'll go, if it makes you happy."

Nikita grinned. "I think it's for the best."