Intro- A Quick Primer on Sentinels and Guides

Hello! 

Thanks for taking the time to check out my story! If you don't mind learning as you read, skip this chapter. If I get a lot of questions I will add them to this chapter.

What is a Sentinel/Guide story?

The simplest way to describe it is a werewolf or alpha/beta/omega story with less emphasis on the animal characteristics. There's no shapeshifting and no physically visible differences. 

Why don't you just write a werewolf story?

I'm old! I've been in fandom for longer than a lot of writers on this site have been alive. Back when I was first poking around on the internet, these stories were pretty popular. They're based on an old 1990's television show called 'The Sentinel'. The A/B/O dynamic is a pretty close derivative of it, with a post-Teen Wolf spin. It's a lot more familiar and comfortable for me to write a sentinel romance than a werewolf or vampire romance.

Also: I have a tendency to add pets to my story and it just doesn't jive that I give a character a dog and then let them turn into a wolf! It's just a silly preference of mine. 

What is a Sentinel?

A sentinel is a human with enhanced senses that allow them to do things we normal humans can't. They can see almost microscopically, hear everything in 100% dolby surround, smell better than dogs, taste and identify all the spices in the secret KFC recipe, and identify fingerprints by handshake. There's a lot of different manifestations of these "powers" but a sentinel is meant to use these skills to protect their "tribe" 

What is a Guide?

A guide is a person who has normal senses but enhanced emotional capabilities. They have extreme empathy and charisma to the point of being almost telepathic. 

Why do they bond?

With great power comes great...consequences. Sentinels can get overstimulated by the environment without someone to anchor them. The same goes for a guide in a crowded or hostile area. Think of putting someone with social anxiety in the middle of a fight, or a person with sensitive skin in a poison ivy patch. If things go extremely wrong, they can die from the stress. Bonded sentinels and guides provide a symbiotic relationship where they provide anchors for each other to focus on in high-stress situations.

Wow! Sounds interesting...Can I use this idea?

I don't own the sentinel or any of the particulars of this alternate universe. Go nuts! Just don't take my specific plotlines, ok?

Thanks for giving this book a chance!