Chapter 24

[Actually i'm trying to get to a more action packed part of the story, so expect more posts]

Fate was still asleep right until the plane landed. The bounce of the plane and the noise of tires was subdued in their little cabin, but she woke with a luxurious yawn before realizing her position. Nervously, she sat up, muttering an apology as she subtly rubbed the corner of drool from her mouth.

Jack smiled indulgently, handing her the phone she'd dropped during her nap and going about grabbing their carry ons as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened, though his cream henley had a clear wet mark like a beacon to the world. Fate's face was burning in embarrassment. Usually she was wide awake on plane rides, or she'd sleep perfectly centered in her chair. With as many flights as she took, sitting without offending strangers could be put on her resume.

But apparently this huge sentinel was her own personal stuffed animal as far as her sleeping psyche was concerned. Not only did she roll closer to him the night before, even on the plane she'd clung to his arm like a little koala. It was mortifyingand she knew he was proud of himself. She could feel the smug pleasure radiating off of him in waves.

His strut was in full form as he slung his duffle over his shoulder and grabbed her carry on in one hand, leaving his other free to collect her. He held out his hand and Fate got the very distinct impression that he'd much rather bundle her under his arm again. Instead he settled for a firmly gripped hand as he towed her out of the plane and into the bustle of the airport.

Fate braced herself, expecting to feel the fulll affront of the airport once they cleared the jetway, but instead all she felt was a general hum. It was as though she was feeling through a screen. It wasn't painful at all. She got small pings of interest or curiosity as people regarded the two of them, but nothing more.

Jack was shielding her, not just with his massive body pulling her along, but subconsciously with his mind. They made it out of the airport in no time and Fate didn't feel as though she'd been bowled over by a truck, a first in her life.

Honestly she felt a bit incredulous at it all. Sentinels weren't very good at shielding naturally. They had to learn how to tap into that function after bonding. Yet after only two days in her presence, he'd managed to shield her from the emotions of an entire airport.

Perhaps that crisis event had really triggered some skills in him.

As she regarded him curiously on the way to his parked car, Jack was feeling much of the same sentiment. Airports were one of the few hells that seemed especially crafted to torture sentinels. They were always full of clashing colors, flashing lights, repeating carpet and tile patterns that he could get lost in, the sounds of thousands chatting or listening to radios and music, and perhaps worst of all, the congealed smells of fast food and a million people per day. Usually after a flight he'd be zapped of energy, unable to make it through the gauntlet to his car without using the isolation paths. But the soft, warm feeling of Fate's hand and teh residual smell of her hair on his clothes, he gave thought to claiming he was lost to take another lap around the venue.

But the flight was already late and his phone had been buzzing since the plane touched down. If he didn't get her straight home his mother would probably have a helicopter searching them down. His father may be the senior Alpha Prime of the region, but it was his mother who was to be feared when it came to properly welcoming a new guide.

They made it to his Mercedes Jeep and he relished the little ping of awe that fed through their bond as he sat down their bags to open the trunk. He also noticed the confusion and her looking pointedly at their clasped hands. Well, he wasn't going to let go of her hand until he absolutely had to, even if loading their bags was awkward.

In fact, he didn't let go until he'd checked the vehicle and guided her into the passenger seat in an impressive display of alpha paranoia. It was only after he'd eyeballed her seatbelt pointedly to make sure it was in working order that he managed to settle into the driver's seat. The car beeped to life with all of the bells and whistles of a high class ride and they were off into the morning sun.

They headed in the opposite direction of the morning crush so their drive out of the city was relatively smooth. It afforded Jack the luxury of stealing glances at his guide as he sped along the highway.