Chapter 29

Fate was still trying to digest the words when there was a gentle knock at the slightly opened door.

"I've come to rescue you from my wife," Sigfried's voice popped through, though muffled by the acoustics. He strode in and made his way directly to the love seat that Martha was perched in, sitting closer than he had any need to be and sipping coffee from the mug he'd brought in, the picture of contentment.

Jack came in hot on his heels, suitcases in hand as he made a beeline for Fate, nervously shifting from foot to foot. She'd been out of his sight for ten minutes and he was very antsy. Ostensibly he knew nothing bad would happen to her, deep in his territory as they were, but the sentinel in him absolutely hated it, especially since she still had that slight fear scent lingering.

He checked her over as best he could with just his eyes, more for his benefit than hers that he made sure she was still alright. He was unperturbed but Fate was very aware of the indulgent looks his parents were giving from their cozy couch.

"Alright alright I'll let you go get settled in," Martha said with an amused lilt,"Just don't forget the barbecue starts at 4!"

The two nodded, Fate nearly shooting out of her seat to get away from the eyes of her new clan elders. They had that smug look that in-laws had when the wife started gaining weight after the honeymoon, absolutely pleased that they were the first in on a secret that everyone would know soon enough.

Though Fate was quite sure that she wasn't pregnant, she was completely lost as to why they looked like two cats who got the cream. What was going on?

"This way," Jack said meekly, hoisting her duffel over his shoulder when she gestured to take it from him. It wasn't heavy at all but he wanted to show off.

"New bonds are so clingy," she stage-whispered to Sigfried as she watched her son herding his new guide down the hallway. Sigfried's eyes crinkled in a smile at how red Jack's ears got. The poor boy had it bad. 

-----------------------------------------------

"I'll take you on a full tour later," Jack said as they climbed two stories up to the master suites.

At the crest of the stairs, there was a completely outfitted game room with signs of teenage life strewn around. Cast away VR headsets, half opened games, an abandoned pizza box and empty cups littered the area.

"We have about four of our clan young living here while on summer break. They're probably out training their senses with Elliot, my second-in-command," Jack gestured vaguely to the forest visible from the balcony of the game room," He lives with his guidewife in that room." He pointed to a closed door down the hallway to the left, "Though there's some more space that way, we have a couple young guides who live in those rooms since we have dampeners up here. But they've got training too."

Jack turned towards the left, leading her down the slightly longer T shaped hallway that led to a private balcony with a gorgeous view of the forest. Jack's confidence turned bashful as he opened the door on the right, "My parents are on the left..So...This is my-uh..our room."

The sentinel's face was red as he opened the door to his "room". Fate thought it was more like an apartment. It was certainly as big as one! It put her little earthship to shame. The sitting room alone was the size of her entire living area back in Bent Valley. The room was divided by a two-sided fireplace, though the stone wall still allowed plenty of light to come in from the french doors that opened on to the private balcony. Behind the sitting room and out of sight from the door was the bedroom, complete with huge bed and what Fate recognized as sentinel friendly canopy curtains neatly tied back.

The bathroom may as well have been the crowning glory. It was modern with frosted glass panes, a bamboo shower and those slate floors Martha had been proud of. Jack went to place their bags in what should have been the closet, though she suspected it would turn out more like a dressing room if she took a good look.

Though the layout of the room screamed 'home and garden', it was definitely ...lived in.

On one wall was a row of championship belts hanging proudly behind a modest collection of trophies. A pull-up bar was mounted on the doorframe, with clear wear from years of use. A yoga mat was rolled up but haphazardly stuck behind an electric guitar stand, and on the table was a computer, still open and on with a background of an inspirational exercise quote superimposed on a glistening swimsuit model.

Jack noticed her line of sight as he came out of the dressing room. He made a beeline for the computer and slammed it closed, his face as red as a beet.

"Haha...I... forgot to clean up before I left."