Chapter 53

[Unedited]

Fate let out an incredulous laugh. That was entirely too predictable and very much a sentinel thing to do. He'd need to change that. She was two news articles away from a wikipedia page on her life. It wasn't a strong code at all. 

She opened up messages, seeing the many missed messages from 'Kay!" at the top, as well as a string from Elliot and some group chats. Aware this was breaching his trust , she had to scroll a while to find the text they'd sent weeks ago to confirm each other's numbers. 

 It was minimal use for an emergency. She wasn't snooping into something she shouldn't, and she'd never do it again. In the time before with Him, all phones had been for work only. Even being near them was asking for trouble. Of course she hadn't had her own. Touching the phone of her sentinel while he wasn't around felt like a big crime. 

She wouldn't acknowledge how her hands were shaking in nerves.Her fingers worked fast as she sent the text and locked the phone back. 

--3283, This is Fate. Anton Ricin called.--

Only moments later it was buzzing again. Her face- full of cinnamon bun- showed up on the screen. Exactly how many stealth photos did he have? 

Fate could hear the muffled noise f a crowd and slamming doors as Jack ran to a quieter place to take the call

"Anton called? Was it an emergency?"

"No, he just wanted us to come down tomorrow. He called and I noticed we switched phones...so that's my passcode... in case you needed it." 

Jack laughed. Of course. She was an IT professional before they met, meaning she wouldn't use anything resembling a birthdate as a passcode. 

"Thanks," He looked at his watch then at the door, "Listen, we'll be done around two and I'd like having my phone so I can make the Twitter posts on time. Kay's on my ass about it." he sighed, "Can you bring my phone? I rode up here with her, so you can take my car." 

Hearing Kay's name Fate remembered all the snippets of news she'd seen here and there. Kay was still Jack's shadow, and as far as the public was concerned, she was the right person to be by his side. It was probably why she hadn't been invited to any of these event despite Jack not actually making a red carpet or onstage appearance after his retirement. 

"Of course, I'll be there in an hour or so." 
--------------------------------
Fate arrived a little early, as traffic was lighter than expected for a Saturday. Outside the venue she was surprised to find a valet and security waiting as she came in to park. 

She rolled down her window when she recognized the young sentinel on duty, one she'd met at the Hammond gathering. 

"Jack's stuck inside signing autographs, sent me to come getcha" he smiled gently, "We'll get the car parked." 

Fate nodded and was led inside. It was pretty interesting to go in through the back door, like a celeb. It also saved a lot of trouble, as the first waves of people were leaving, crowding the lot. 

They walked through several corridors and inner halls before finally reaching the stadium floor. These were national championships, so the local basketball stadium had been outfitted for the tourney. They passed a few groups of kids and coaches before finally reaching a rather loud entryway. What felt like a million lights were blaring into the already bright backstage. 

A set of security guards let them pass with a nod, continuing to guard this entry, and for good reason. There was a massive crowd just beyond the door, barely contained by gates and security. At a table at the end of this group was Jack, signing autographs for the fighters. Cameras flashed as he talked and smiled and posed, making it all look very natural. 

However that broke the moment he saw Fate. He politely paused a discussion he was having to stand up and nearly hopped over the table to get to her. The crowd curiously shifted, cameras flashing and making Fate squint. Seamlessly Jack moved so his broad shoulders blocked most of them from view. 

"You didn't have to come all the way in here. Wyatt could have taken you to the green room." 

Wyatt, overhearing this, only shrugged. Fate was family as far as the clan was concerned. He was getting sick of his null friends and classmates poking fun at her, saying she was abandoned when she was just a bit shy!

The other young sentinels all agreed, at least in the inner circle. Usually she was running around with Martha, but when she had time she helped the young guides hone their skills. She was a little wary of sentinels, but still helped the youngest ones out. His younger cousin could now easily identify guide pulls and projected emotions, instead of always running off on a hunch and getting into trouble. 

Fate had only been around for a couple of months, but had made herself irreplaceable. Everyone was talking about it. Martha was not stingy about bragging on her new assistant. Big Sig had even complimented one of her sentinel training suggestions at dinner, an absolute rarity from the usually silent man. He'd even heard from his mother working at NOGS about how effective she was when working with the troubled guides down at the center. The regional director was ready to hand her a full time job. 

And as for Jack, you'd have to a certified idiot to not see how enamored he was. He was sure the journalists were sustained only by delusions, because Jack was absolutely wrapped around her finger. He hovered around her all day when he was home, even worse than Elliot when he'd first bonded. He also had a hopeless moon-eyed face whenever she was in view that Wyatt hadn't seen since highschool. 

The same moon-eyed face that was ignoring the crowd to make lunch plans with Fate while the paps and fans cameras clicked away. 

It was a little embarrassing if he were honest.