Chapter 28

Ah, every new guide's worst fear. A sentinel could sense your heartbeat, smell your sweat and deduce whether you were being truthful, but a guide as powerful as Martha would simply know.

"I...I-" fate's hand shook, threatening to spill tea on her hands.

Martha reached across the table, gently taking the cup and placing a cool, soft hand on her wrist, projecting a soothing calm, "I'm not upset, don't fret." Her voice was measured and soothing as she took deeply visible breaths. Subconsciously Fate found herself breathing along, the fringes of panic fading back.

"There we go," she sighed when Fate had calmed, "You've been on edge since you came in, I understand you two were bonded in strange circumstances, but you're a part of the clan now, and it's our duty to make sure that you live comfortably, given the circumstances."

"I-I'll be very comfortable!" Fate offered nervously, "T-This is a lovely home and-"

"There's no need to pretend," Martha sighed, "I know, I'm your sentinel's mother and you cannot quite trust me yet, but trust that my duty as Prime guide of this region is to make sure all of the guides in my clan are safe and happy. And that includes you, Fate. I've only heard my son's side of the story, and while he's out of range, I want you to be able to tell yours."

Fate blanched, looking down at her hands, silent.

Martha held her breath as she felt the roiling of conflicting emotions pierce through the room. It felt like the feeling you get before vomiting, anxiety and knowledge that if it starts it won't stop until you drown in acid. Martha did her best to not fall under the sway of such a powerful guide. She was the only even match she'd felt in years. Perhaps she was even stronger... if she realized her full potential.

Leave it to her son to find one just like his mother.

"It's alright if you're not ready yet," Martha whispered, sweat beading at her forehead, "Just know that if you ever need to talk, just come to this tea room."

Fate's nerves dropped into confusion. Martha smiled in response, pointing up at a tiny speaker affixed to the ceiling. "What is said in the tea room, stays in the tea room."

It was a white noise generator, a highly regulated piece of tech. These were illegal to own without the written permission of a sentinel, and filing with the state. Even phone services and testing centers had to jump through hoops to outfit their building with sentinel proof generators. A sentinel of appropriate sensitivity could hear through some forms of physical soundproofing, dampeners and closed doors, but even the highest rated sentinel on record couldn't unscramble voices through a white noise generator.

Fate had never knowingly been in the presence of one, not even back in the...institution. Now that she knew it was there she could notice the low hum as it covered the room in the sound of rolling air.

"The walls are dampened too, anti acoustic." Martha said smugly, "And most importantly, the sentinels know the rules."

"Rules?"

"Yes, rules. We don't have many, but it's what keeps our clan together. It's why the reason the Hammond clan has been so strong for so long."

Fate nodded, most old blood clans had a set of rules nearing a constitution. These rules were often more of a secret code of honor than orders to keep the toilet paper replenished. There was much speculation about what made up the clan rules of the illustrious Rooklands or the mysterious Kabarwhals of history. Even the relatively low-key Hammonds were rumored to have a thick book of clan laws and by-laws compiled by Sigfried Hammond I himself.

Martha was evidence against that, she hoped.

"The strength of the Hammond name is built on respect of those beside us, and protection of those who cannot do for themselves. I've been with Sig for gosh, thirty...almost thirty-five years now, and he lives by that Hammond creed. I should hope we raised our son to do the same."

Fate nodded quickly, "H-He's been very kind...considering...everything."

Martha seemed pleased enough with that answer, "Good. He's a celebrity, retired-or-not, which means that he's going to be in the public eye quite a bit. There are a lot of eyes on him all the time. A lot of people who want to be at his side, a part of the Hammond fortune."

Fate bit her lips, looking down at her worn out leggings and chipped nails. She was the picture of a gold digger out of her league.

"But Fate," the elder guide fixed Fate with an earnest stare."You must remember that you're his guide now, and he needs you at his side more than anyone else. Even me. He's your shield and you are his anchor. Fame, fortune, romance? Those are not as important to him as you are. Never will be."

Fate felt chills running down her spine from just how deathly serious Martha was being, projecting her earnesty across the air like electricity.

"That's what a bond means, Lafayette. You don't have to take my word for it. Just watch and wait."