Chapter 33 (Part 2)

[separated for the suspense ;) ]

Fate's eyes widened and she froze, mostly in confusion. It wasn't as if he'd never hugged her before. Their first waking meeting was pretty much full contact. He just held her there for a moment, his breathing steadying as he rubbed his face against her neck. As the woody scent of his beard oil clogged her nose, Fate got the idea. She was being scented.

"I'm sorry," Jack grumbled, a bit ashamed, "I thought I could handle a clan meeting but-"

He stepped back and sighed, running a hand over his face in embarrassment. His ears were red and his cheeks were flushed at how so very textbook his behavior right now was. The acclimatization period was most definitely in full swing for him, especially as he'd gotten used to hauling her under his arm during the trying few days in BentValley.

She'd had his scent on her all the time then... but after her shower, she only smelled like herself. It was a lovely scent: warm, tropical, and a hint of nuts and spice that made him want to investigate further, but it didn't have anything of HIM in it, and that was VERY WRONG.

His sentinel sensibilities were screaming mad about it as they encountered more and more people through the short trip out of his den-his room. As he reached the door he just knew he wouldn't be able to make it through the party without scenting her in public. That would be entirely too embarrassing for the both of them, so he made do like this.

Fate was understanding. This was one of the most basic parts of being a bonded pair, even if the sentinel themself didn't have heightened smell abilities, the need to make it known that this guide was THEIRs ran deep. It just wasn't spoken about in polite company or done in public because it was so intimate. After all, the most effective scenting methods were X-rated. Many a book or movie plot had a secret couple's cover blown after a "scenting session" got too intense and cut to black. What Jack did was veritably grade school compared to others.

Realizing that Fate was not distressed by his pouty sentinel display, Jack dove right back down into the hug. He made sure to spend time pressing his beard against both shoulders, not getting too close to her very long and tasty looking neck. He carefully rubbed his wrist over both shoulders and finished off with a chaste kiss to her forehead before he got too carried away.

This time stepping back his flush was more manageable, though he felt some heat radiating from her face as she blushed a bit. She wasn't too ruffled. This would simply have to do.

Grabbing her hand again, he made directly for the solarium door.