Chapter 70

[[Unedited]]
It was nearing 6 pm when Emma and Anton Ricin landed back in Hammond territory. Anton had been in federal holding, but Emma wasn't just any ex-marine. A few pulled strings and her guide was scott free, with the NOGS lackey looking pouty about her going over his head. 

They'd at least confirmed what they'd went to find out. But nothing more. They'd kept the information on Peter White under complete gag order, but suddenly were giving exact times and potential escape routes. Emma's connections were powerful but she doubted that they did all of this. 

"Emma, did that docket feel strange to you?"Anton spoke up as they dragged their go bags from the overhead compartment ,"I got a read on that officer. He didn't want me to dig any deeper into something, but it wasn't Peter White." 

Emma scratched her chin, an old habit," Yea, I smelled a little sweat, and heard a bit of frantic typing from the next room over, but we have no way to investigate that further." 

"Not yet anyway," Anton corrected, "But the truth has a way of coming to the surface." 

Emma only chuckled and took his hand as they departed the plane, "Don't think too hard. You've had a migraine all day. You need your wits about you." 

The airport was sparse, considering the news of the Hammond's unrest it made sense. People rearranged their plans if they knew, and the travel commission put out warnings, vague thought they were. Landing in clan territory during a major upheaval was like driving into tornado alley. Most reasonable people knew to avoid it, though Emma had heard the subtle clicking of more cameras than usual. There were always adrenaline junkies and check chasers willing to take the risk. 

"It feels too quiet,"Emma mentioned as she strode a bit further ahead, her sentinel eyes surveying the area with concern.

Anton nodded, "Signature's are... off. It feels like everything is two inches to the left." 

"Yea. I can't place what it is though. This place is pretty cleared out. Do you have service yet? Any news from the clan chat?"

Anton checked his phone only to see a bunch of messages popping in, and a phone call from an area code he hadn't had contact with in nearly five years. Lithica County. 

Anton frowned, answering it.

"Captain Harriet? This is Anton Ricin speaking" 

"Oh thank God," came the familiar raspy voice of the Lithica County police captain, Anton's old boss, "Anton, has the news reached you yet? I just got the AP blotter and it's about your clan's guide. Sheryl in records, she's the one who caught it, saw it said Hammond, that's your new clan right?" 

"What? Yes, yes Emma is in the Hammond clan. What news?" 

"Shit, hell. I thought the local would have shut this sort of thing down. It's bad Son. You may not remember, but this Fate girl was the last witness interview you did for the county. I don't know why it never occurred to me until just now. Thought she died in NOGS custody."

"Yea we all did, Didn't figure it out until this week. But what's this news you're talking about? Local is under a gag order on some things, clan issue. " 

" Well this is more of a national security situation now. Here, I'm sending the photo. This  it's going to hit news sites in about 20 minutes if it hasn't already. It'll be on the national ticker by the end of the hour." 

Anton's phone buzzed and he immediately opened the email sent to his secure police email. It was a clear readout of the News Ticker that was present in most police stations. 

"Never seen before: Rogue Guide Lafayette Robinson missing following attempted murder of Elder Sentinel of Hammond Clan. Guide has history of bondmate murder including murder of her original bonded sentinel in 20XX. Extremely dangerous. Pending statement from Hammond Clan." 

The phone buzzed again as another email containing attached photos showing the blurred police report and photos from the fire marshall's investigation. 

"This is horseshit!" Anton yelled loud enough that the kid working the pretzel stand jumped in alarm. 

"Listen Anton, I can't make judgement on that. I never met the kid, just stamped the report and sent it to records. Look, The media is about to descend on the precinct as we speak. Sheryl is helping us make a pretty bland statement but there's something you should know. I shouldn't be telling you this, don't think of it as lessening your accomplishments in any way-" 

"With all due respect, I've got an idea of what you're about to say, Ma'am." 

Harriet sighed, "Brightest bulb in the box. The NOGS federal division made sure you got your dream promotion before you could get a clear statement from her. They also sealed up every copy of the report we have. Even the digital files. After you left it was like the whole thing never happened. 

"Look, you know the whole transfer thing isn't as easy as it looked. We got pushed by the fed NOGS. They wanted us to get you out of the way in any way possible. 

"They're the ones who moved you to the front of the line, and conveniently put it where Emma was planning to go. This is something bigger than our little podunk county ever thought of handling." 

There was only terse silence from Anton. His head hurt something fierce. 

"Anton. Don't take it personal-" 

"That's enough Captain," Emma took the phone, pulling Anton's shorter frame close under one arm. He was shaking, his rage palpable through their bond.

"We'll be in touch." Emma angrily clicked and the phone hung up. 

-----------------
Anton was clutching his head and Emma, though strong suddenly felt like the world was going topsy turvy. He needed to realign. Luckily they hadn't yet left the airport. Flying was hell on most people but it was particularly hellish on sentinels and their guides. Airports installed copious isolation suites to assuage those issues (and make an extra buck off tired travellers). 

Emma swiped her card and led Anton into the closed off room. It had an overwhelmingly antiseptic smell from the intense cleaning, but most importantly it was nearly silent with thick dampening walls and soft unobtrusive lighting. There was a bamboo woven chair and a canvas couch that has seen its share of wear. 

Emma carefully sat, allowing Anton to lay across the couch, his head in her lap as she stroked his hair. He covered his eyes and groaned. 

"She didn't kill her sentinel," Anton said with conviction. He didn't know where that conviction came from though. He'd never seen the fire marshall's report. He'd only had the interview with her. She'd bee nconvinced that she'd killed the sentinel. 

But if her bonded sentinel died, she would have died.  She wouldn't have been able to survive his pained or panicked emotions. And without him her own emotions would have been scattered and wild to the point of putting her into a vegetative state. 

Then suddenly his mind cleared. 

"I'm going to tell you a secret Officer Fisk"

Anton shot up in his seat, almost bashing his head on Emma's chin. The tall woman raised an eyebrow at the sudden spike of energy. She could hear Anton's heart racing, and feel what she could only identify as urgency through their bond. He turned, gripping her arms intently. She'd never seen him so focused, so desperate.

"Emma, I remember the interview."