II: NEW BEINGS.

FEBRUARY 1, 2018

THE CARSON HOUSEHOLD ; 2:30 PM

"Who are you talking about?" Jeno began locking the door as Athena was hunched over, trying to catch her breath. Jenny put her hand on Athena's back and tried to calm her down while Jeno put his back to the front door and watched them.

"My brother."

Jeno's silver eyes widened at her reply and he was utterly confused, "What do you mean? Me and—I killed him. He should be dead." Jenny's eyes widened as well but only for a short and mere moment, she immediately remembered who they were talking about. She had been told by her brother about that situation, yet Jeno knew more than she did about everything in general about all this. "He's back and I—I don't know how he came back. He found me somehow and he tried t-to talk to me but I just—" Jeno put his right hand on her left shoulder and his left hand on her right cheek, making her look up at him.

"Hey, hey. You need to calm down, take a breather, Athena. You can't be talking about this with the way you are right now. Just go and have something in the kitchen, you look pale." He stated while examining her face closely and she sighed before they both pulled away. "I always look like this." She softly replied and he shook his head as he lowered his hands to his side.

"Not true. When you're hungry your face brightens and your purple eyes lighten." Athena looked away in embarrassment, she didn't expect him to examine her so much. Jeno chuckles to himself as he realized he just admitted to the fact that he pays too much attention to her. Unexpectedly, his mother came walking down the staircase. She stared at the three teenagers with a questionable expression plastered on her face. "Who is she—" Jeno rolled his eyes in response as he gestured Jenny and Athena to go to the kitchen.

"None of your business." Jeno replied to this mother, leering his eyes at her which she found to be quite offending. "I'm your mother I deserve to know who your friends are." Her son scoffed as he made his way to the kitchen this time to where the two girls were eavesdropping on their bickering.

"You're not my mother, Candice. Why are you still here anyway? You said you came here as a Christmas present and I have to say you're the worst present yet. You should have left by now." Jeno roughly opened the fridge before grabbing the white plate that was on the first shelf his eyes saw, then threw the plate on the counter carelessly, startling Jenny. It was happening again...and this was the Jeno that Jenny was afraid of: The cruel and careless one.

"I'm just trying to be a good mother, Jeno—" Candice tried to explain her reasoning until he cut her off. "Good mother my fucking ass. You only want to be there for me and Jenny now? After nine fucking years?! Stop lying to our faces." The light bearer grabbed the plate and unwrapped it before throwing it into the microwave nearby and pressed the preset heating option. Athena stayed as silent as possible, shifting in the countertop seat while fiddling with her gloved fingers in her lap.

Jenny avoided having eye contact with her mother, but continued listening to their argument, it was almost as if the two forgot her and Athena were present in the kitchen. Candice stopped herself before she could speak again, she sensed an unfamiliar aura in the room and it was bothering her internally. Her eyes fell upon the female grim reaper who was sitting at the counter, "Why is her aura of darkness?" She pointed at Athena who felt a bit uncomfortable, looking at Jeno while waiting for his reply.

Jeno hit his hands on the counter, startling Athena and he turned around slowly, not taking his eyes off his mother. His grip on the counter only became stronger by the seconds passing by, soon they heard the marble counter breaking.