Shortest Trial of the Century

Matt Murdock walked up the last flight of stairs with ease, a feat that not many blind people could accomplish. One would think that his lack of using his cane at this particular staircase could be due to familiarity, and in some way, that was true. The fact that he had enhanced senses, was more correct, though. Every sense, bar sight, worked for him far beyond the human norm.

Thus, upon entering his penthouse apartment, he was instantly aware that he wasn't alone.

The sound of breathing was nearly indistinguishable, but it was there. Turning slowly, Matt placed his briefcase on the floor and faced the lounge.

The intruder was absolutely still, making it hard to tell much about them. The one thing that he was able to determine was the fact that they were seated in the right-hand single chair.

"Might I ask what you are doing in my apartment?" he asked.

"Seeing how long it would take you to notice me," a deep male voice replied, just a hint of amusement in it.

"And?" Matt asked.

"Just as fast as I expected, perhaps even a bit quicker," the man answered.

"That still doesn't answer why you've broken in to my apartment," Matt said. "And believe me, doing so to a lawyer isn't your best move – they tend to know all the laws to charge you with."

"Are you threatening me?" the man asked, that amusement back.

"If I need to. Now, leave," Matt ordered.

"I came here to hire a lawyer," the man stated.

"The offices of Nelson and Murdock are open between nine and five. I can even give you the address if you need it," Matt said.

"Don't worry, I know where you work. I'm good that way. I like to keep my eye on extraordinary people," the man said.

Matt stiffened slightly. If that wasn't a directed barb, then he didn't know what was.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Matt asked. "I presume that that is why you're in need of a lawyer."

"Not me, someone else, someone just as extraordinary as you are. Perhaps introductions are in order. My name is Nick Fury and I am the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I, of course, know who you are, both when you're a lawyer and when you're not."

Matt walked forward with ease, slipping past his furniture until he was directly across from Fury, the coffee table between them.

"If you know who I am, then you know not to antagonise me," Matt near growled.

Fury gave a low chuckle. "Oh, I definitely know that. That's something that you need to learn that we have in common. As I was saying ..."

"S.H.I.E.L.D., yes. I've heard of it," Matt interrupted. "What does a secret spy organisation want with me."

"Ordinarily, nothing. While your methods are unorthodox, we can't fault your results. Doesn't mean that we won't keep a close eye on you, though, just in case," Fury stated. "But that's not why I'm here. As I said, I'm in need of a good lawyer."

"What's the case and why me?" Matt asked, taking a seat.

"Tell me, Mister Murdock, do you believe in magic?" Fury asked.

ooo00ooo

Matt stood to one side of the foyer of the Woolworth Building in Broadway, New York. Currently, his hands were folded atop his cane, his briefcase on the floor beside him and his head slightly lowered.

He was certain that this was the place. He'd detected a person disappear into a door mere metres from where he stood, a door that had his senses screaming, indicating that there was something unusual about it. A passer-by had confirmed that there was indeed a carving of an owl above the door that he was looking to enter.