Not What We Once Were

A deep, bass rumble was Harry's only warning.

Dust drifted from the ceiling. Next were small stones.

Harry only had time to glance upwards before the deluge of rocks began to rain down on him. Jerking his arm up from where it was outstretched ready to pulverise the great stone door that was blocking him from reaching Skye, Harry instead created the most powerful shield that he'd ever managed. His legs were braced far apart as the very ground that he was standing on shook violently under him.

A great golden dome formed above him, not unlike an umbrella as rocks of all sizes fell. With each new one that hit his shield, he felt it deep in his arm and bones. When one nearly twice his size landed on the dome, he was forced to brace his wand arm with his left arm, even as he dropped to one knee. Gritting his teeth, he held on, channelling more magic into this one spell than he ever had with any other spell before. Slowly, almost in slow motion, the giant rock slipped sideways before landing with a great thump to his left.

By the time that the last of the big rocks had fallen some four or five minutes later, Harry was panting hard. The ball of light that he'd originally created when he'd first landed down here, far below the Earth in this ancient, abandoned alien city had long since popped out of existence, leaving him in complete darkness now that he allowed his shield to dissipate.

Harry coughed on the dust-filled air. Pushing himself to his feet, he wiped his brow of the sweat that had formed from the effort of keeping the shield steady.

A simple wind charm was enough to send the dust away, deep into the depths of the city and far from where he currently was. A swish, flick and jab had the ball of light once more illuminating the cavern.

Boulders and piles of rocks were littered everywhere – the only clear patch a half-metre circle around himself. Stepping up onto one of the smaller boulders, Harry surveyed the area further.

Whatever that was – and his money was on an earthquake – it hadn't made any sort of impact on the stone wall in front of where he'd been standing. There was still a great block of stone guarding the entrance to the Temple, behind which Skye was trapped.

Concentrating, Harry connected with his Head of House ring and used it to ascertain Skye's location. He gave a nod as he noted that it didn't appear as though she had moved.

Not knowing whether or not she was injured from the earthquake, Harry acted.

Ideally, or at least, ordinarily, he'd be able to transfigure and charm the stone in the one go to remove it but after the amount of magic that he'd just used, he knew that his reserves were low.

Narrowing his eyes at the stone door, he raised his wand and pushed the magic that he needed, transfiguring the hard stone into sandstone. Next, he changed the sandstone into glass before melting it away, leaving a puddle on the ground that he rapidly cooled.

Harry's eyes darted about the room as he rushed in before fixing on Skye.

She was kneeling on the ground, rocks and boulders strewn all around her, even as her hand was stretched out, resting on a black piece of rock.

"Skye!" Harry exclaimed, dropping beside her.

Instantly, her head came up and turned towards him. Tears streaked her face and her shoulders shook.

"Harry!" she exclaimed, turning to him, all but leaping into his arms.

Harry grabbed her, his arms wrapping tight around her as he reassured himself that she was alive, her arms holding tightly to him in return.