Chapter One: New Beginnings?

PART ONE

I. New Beginnings?

"Kaylee, get out of bed already! Seriously, do you have to make us late for the first day of school every year?"

The voice of my older sister, Hanna, sounded throughout my eardrums. We had the same routine every year whenever it was the first day of school. She would be the perky, annoying girl that was always psyched to go to school, while I'd be stuck on my summer high and never want to get out of bed. This was my tenth year at it and I didn't plan on giving her any easier of a time. It was her senior year and she could be late if she wanted to.

"Ow!" I yelled, rubbing the side of my head. She had just smacked the side of my head with a heavy pillow.

I groaned and slowly opened my eyes. Hanna had already opened the curtains and I was temporarily blinded by the sunlight streaming in from the early morning. When I finally regained my vision, I saw that she was almost completely ready to leave the house.

Her dirty blonde hair framed her face in ever-so-perfect curls that fell just below her shoulders. She already had a full face of makeup on and was currently deciding on her outfit. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Hanna always had to look perfect and beautiful, especially on the first day of school, while I preferred cute and comfortable. We hardly looked like sisters, anyways. She was petite and curvy with gleaming hazel eyes. I, on the other hand, stood at 5' 5" with long, brown hair and clear blue eyes. Our personalities were even more opposite, and sometimes even I had a hard time believing that we were related.

As I reluctantly rolled out of bed and started brushing my teeth, I thought about what lied ahead of me this sophomore year. I would be reunited with my best friend Bree as always, and she would probably have loads of things to tell me about her summer vacation. Her family was rich and they would always go to exotic, exciting places. I got to go with her sometimes though, so it's not like I'm complaining.

Aside from Bree, I'd get to talk to a few relaxed, fun girls in my grade too, but I'd also have to put up with the tons of prissy, annoying girls. Not to mention I'd have to deal with the obnoxious, overly loud guys as well. I swear, there were seriously no considerate or sweet guys that attended my high school.

Well, none except for Dylan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylan and I have been best friends since kindergarten. We basically grew up together and were there for each other through all the different friends, crushes, relationships, and drama. Our friendship was so perfect and we understood each other like no one else could. I always thought he was such a dork and was in no possible way attracted to him, and he felt the same way towards me.

That was until freshman year came along.

Somehow, over the summer, Dylan had a totally amazing transformation. I'm talking big TV show production sort of makeover, except he did it all on his own. He bulked up and grew so much that he majorly surpassed me in height, rather than just barely being taller than me like he had been in eighth grade. He started to actually style his scruffy, light brown hair and revamped his wardrobe. It was like he became a whole other physical being. The only things that hadn't seemed to change were his striking royal blue eyes that could make almost any girl's heart melt.

Freshman year had started out like any other year and we were still as inseparable as ever. We had four classes together and sat nearby one another in each one, which allowed us to talk a lot. I began to feel slightly attracted to the "new" him, but quickly pushed it away in hopes of preventing awkwardness within our relationship.

Our friendship only flourished even more and one day at our city's annual carnival, I realized that I had truly fallen for him. I finally saw that over the years, I'd come to love his laugh, his smile, the way he bit his lower lip when he was nervous, the way his hair poked up in the weirdest places when he first woke up, our deep late night conversations, his lame jokes, and, even though it's majorly cliche, his beautiful eyes.

Ever since that day, I've been head-over-heels in love with all of him. However, I never told him how I felt and had to live through half of freshman year and the whole summer not knowing if he ever felt the same way. Although these feelings I felt for him were only discovered last year, they coursed through my veins every waking moment as if I had loved him for my whole life.

Now it was sophomore year, and the whole process would start all over again. All the hiding of feelings, trying to control my fluttering stomach every time I saw him, and every other move I had to make in order to create the illusion that I was still fine with only being friends and nothing more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these thoughts and emotions surging through me were driving me crazy, and I my brow furrowed in frustration as I arranged my hair in a topknot. I quickly swiped on some eyeliner and mascara, then threw myself into my classic first day of school outfit - a loose baseball tee, light wash cut-offs, and my black high-top converse. I knew that if I kept Hanna waiting any longer, she'd storm in here and drag my butt, dressed or not, out the door and into her car.

"Hanna, I'm ready to go," I called to her as I took a deep breath. It was time to brave my first day of sophomore year with my strong feelings for Dylan. Would this year be different than the last or would I have to live through another agonizing year of hopeless waiting and wondering?