Chapter Four: When It Counts

IV. When It Counts

I breathed in deeply and took in everything I loved about Dylan's room. It was huge, but it was also extremely comforting to me. I could remember growing up with this room, through all our playdates, study sessions, movie nights, and innocent little sleepovers. I remembered beating him up when we were eight and him taking revenge by tickling me until I could no longer breathe. I remembered playing Call of Duty on his Xbox and Super Mario Bros on his GameCube. I remembered falling asleep when we were studying and waking up to find that he had carried me onto his bed and covered me with a blanket so I wouldn't be cold. I remembered jumping practically into his arms when I was scared as we watched a horror movie marathon at his place till the early hours of the morning. I remembered our old pillow fights, which I always won, where we pelted each other with throw pillows and always ended up laughing on the floor. After all these years, I had grown to love this room, just as I had grown to love Dylan.

"Hey buttcheek, you didn't miss me too much did you?" Dylan said with a smirk as he returned from getting some snacks.

"Nope, I don't think that's possible, considering you've only been gone for five minutes," I retorted with a laugh. "Would you mind closing the door behind you?"

He eyed me suspiciously. "I think I know where this is going..." he replied, batting his long eyelashes flirtatiously.

"Gross you pig! I seriously hope you don't think I'm that easy, or else we'll have a serious problem here," I groaned.

"Of course not, I know you're not easy, you barely even leave the house to go anywhere!"

"That's not true," I protested with a frown.

"Umm, sorry to burst your bubble Kay, but going to my house or Bree's house doesn't count as 'going out'." he said, as he started to laugh.

That smug little bastard was making fun of me! Well, little did he know that I actually was going out soon, to the annual kickback. Speaking of which, I remembered why I had come here in the first place. It was time to get serious, but Dylan was still hunched over in laughter.

"Alright, alright, we've established that I'm a loser. Now can you shut up and listen please?" I sighed.

"I'm just teasing Kaylee. Okay, I'm all ears, but I hope it won't take too long because I have to leave for basketball practice in like fifteen minutes."

"Alright, I won't take too long..."

Here goes nothing.

"So you and I have known each other our whole lives and we've practically grown up together. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that we've become closer year by year and we know each other better than anyone else does." I began. "We've been there for each other through everything - family issues, broken friendships, school troubles, and even failed relationships. We've comforted each other and cheered each other up no matter what the case was. I'm so glad we're best friends and I want you to know that you mean a lot to me..."

Crap, this was coming off as more awkward than I thought. How would I even tell him that I liked him? My mind drew a blank and I continued to ramble about our experiences together until he interrupted me.

"You mean a lot to me too, Kaylee. But is this story going anywhere? Because I'm pretty sure we both know that we mean a lot to each other and that we're best friends and that we've been through a lot and -"

"Damn it. Dylan, I like you," I blurted out.

Smooth, Kaylee, real smooth. I basically dropped a bomb on him out of nowhere in the most awkward way possible. The look on his face gave that away - he was stupefied and stunned.