Chapter Seven: Plagued

START OF PART TWO

VII. Plagued

It's been almost a year since Dylan left for the other side of the country, and frankly, everything has changed. It took me a few months to move on past our "almost relationship", but eventually, it had to happen. I listened to what Dylan said and allowed myself to fall for another guy in my life, slowly, but surely.

His name is Ryan Gray. And I love him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on babe, let's go! We're gonna be late for Sarah's sick party!"

I rolled my eyes as I heard my boyfriend holler from downstairs. He was probably doing the same with his green eyes as well. But what can I say, I wanted to look nice for the party and I've only been getting ready for fifteen minutes. Could I help it if I wanted to look nice?

I looked at the outfit I had laid out for the night. A royal blue peplum tank, dark gray skinny jeans, and black high-heeled ankle boots. The perfect look for one of the last parties before junior year started. Satisfied, I put on the outfit and quickly brushed out my long brown hair. With my makeup already done, I was ready to hit the party. And frankly, I don't see what Ryan was complaining about. I really didn't take that long.

As I headed down the stairs, I saw Ryan tugging at his shirt and combing through his dirty blonde hair with his fingers as he waited for me. I couldn't help but notice how his fitted black t-shirt hugged his finely chiseled abs. He was so cute, darn him.

"Checking me out again Kaylee? Did you take this long because you weren't emotionally prepared to see me?" he teased.

I laughed as I shoved him playfully, although I ended up being the one who was pushed back.

"We should get going," I said, dragging him out the door to his Mercedes Benz parked in the driveway.

"That's what I said, but only like fifteen times more."

He smirked as he opened the door for me and made his way to the driver's side. I loved the feel of his car. It always smelled fresh and was always clean. He had a tiny picture of us in a frame attached to his dashboard. And best of all, he kept a secret stash of gummies in the glove compartment because he knew those were my favorites.

He turned on the radio as he started driving and started to sing along to the song that was playing.

"If that's what you wanted, if that's what you wanted," he sang. Or rather, he screeched.

"Oh, for the love of all that is good, stop singing Ryan," I said, mocking him.

"What, you don't like my singing?" he asked, feigning innocence. "You know, I should totally go on one of those singing competition shows. They practically have thousands of those now." And he continued to belt out the lyrics to OneRepublic's song.

I rolled my eyes at him, but I did love how we could mess with each other like that. I didn't have to pretend to be something I wasn't around Ryan. And that made me feel beyond happy.

"Alright Mr.Pop Star, we're getting close to Sarah's place so shut your trap before you deafen the whole crowd," I said with a chuckle.

"Hey, that's not very nice," he pouted as he parked on the curb.

As we approached the last party of the summer, it was obvious that everyone was letting loose tonight. The front yard was already acquiring an impressive pile of red solo cups, which, oddly enough, ended up looking like some abstract piece of art. The house shook with the sound of the pounding bass and the backyard was full of drunk teens attempting to not puke in the pool.