Chapter Six: Always

VI. Always

***Author's Note: If you'd like, listen to the song on the side while you read. I listened to it practically the whole time I wrote this (It was in Teen Wolf btw. GAH Stydia foreverrrrr)***

My whole body was swept over with a wave of heat as Dylan moved closer towards me, striking blue eyes still locked with mine. I felt his strong hand on my waist as he pulled me in, gently enclosing me in his arms. Instinctively, my arms wrapped themselves around his neck as he began to lean his head down towards me.

This was it. Oh my God. I was going to kiss my best friend.

My mind was going insane as I watched him flutter his beautiful eyes shut. I could feel his warm breath on my face, given our close proximity. Everything felt so right, but the closer he came, the more wrong it eventually felt. I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to how I felt, sitting alone in his room that day. My eyes began to burn as I fought back the urge to break down in tears. As Dylan was about to kiss me, I couldn't bring myself to kiss him, no matter how much I wanted to. Because this was all just a dare to him. This didn't mean anything more to him. But this meant the absolute world to me and it broke my heart knowing that I didn't mean everything to him like he did to me. So, as his lips were about to graze mine, I did what any crazy, heartbroken teenage girl would do.

I ran.

I fled from that scene recklessly, stumbling blindly through the crowds of people. I could hear him calling my name, but I didn't care. He probably just wanted to go through with the dare so he wouldn't look bad, and no way in hell would I make a fool of myself like that. I could feel those crystal clear demons tugging at my eyelids relentlessly. I fought them off best I could, but to no avail. Making my way past the hoards of drunken, partying teenagers, I finally found a quiet spot in the parking lot where I could be alone.

And that was when I broke down on the floor and the demons poured out of my eyes incessantly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I finally awoke from my collapse of exhaustion, I was still on the parking lot floor, but I felt warm hands wrapped around me and stroking my hair. The touch of those hands were warm, comforting, like the very hands that soothed me after every bad situation. The very hands that made me feel at home.

No way. It couldn't be.

But, as I turned my head upwards to look at my angel in disguise, my thoughts proved true. There, before my eyes, was none other than Dylan Hayes. My best friend. Or rather, my ex-best friend. His blue eyes caught my gaze and once again I was put in some sort of a trance.

"Kaylee..." he said quietly and tentatively. "I -"

"Save it," I interrupted, snapping out of my trance-like state.

Shock spread across the features of his face and hurt flickered in his eyes. Maybe I was being harsh, but after the way I'd been treated this past week, he deserved it.

"Where the hell have you been this whole week? You've avoided me every single damn day, you never even bothered to talk to me, and you left me alone in your room that day I told you how I felt. Do you know how stupid and pathetic that made me felt? No, you don't, because you're Dylan and you could get any girl you wanted. I'm sorry that I'm not as pretty or as smart or as athletic or as perfect as other girls, but I was still your best friend. And you still treated me that way. I'm tired of just waiting and wondering, Dylan. I'm so damn done. And I -"

This time, I was the one who was cut off as I found my head buried in his firm chest. Surprise flooded my body and I melted into his arms. I began to sob again - being in his arms once again was all too much to bear. We were both breathing heavily, clearly affected by all that had happened recently. I could feel his heart pounding in his chest as he began to speak.