Chapter Eight: Smirks and Sweethearts

VIII. Smirks and Sweethearts

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and nausea. It sucks to be a lightweight because I suffer from a few cups while Ryan can drink till the sun rises without major consequences. Hangovers are killer.

At least I'm home alone so I don't have to deal with anyone right now. Thank God for Saturday shifts and jobs. My Saturdays consisted of my sister and parents being out at work and me staying home watching Teen Wolf re-runs all day long. Yeah, I'm a loser, deal with it.

As I stumble blindly down the stairs to grab a cup of coffee, I hear noises outside. Peering out the window, I see a large moving truck parked next door. I guess someone finally bought the house beside us. Great, neighbors, I groaned internally. I made my way over to the kitchen and brewed my coffee. The magic of Keurig made the process so easy, and I had a toasty warm cup of coffee in a matter of a few minutes. After adding my favorite cinammon roll creamer, I found my way back to the window by the front door.

The large crew of moving men had to make about seventeen trips back and forth between the truck and the house. How much furniture could this family even own? After what seemed like an eternity, the moving truck finally rolled down the street and I was able to see what kind of neighbors we'd be getting. It was a family of five. Two parents, two little girls, and one teenage boy. I couldn't scope out their faces though, since they were all either facing away from me or behind their car.

Hearing the roar of a car engine, I focused my gaze on an obnoxiously bright red convertible pulling up by their curb. Another teenage boy stepped out, but he had blonde hair while the whole family were brunettes. I assumed that he was a friend of the other teenage boy. I watched as he slapped hands with the brown haired boy and passed a few words with him. Suddenly the blonde boy's gaze travels from the other boy to my eyes. And then, he smirks at me. And not the kind of silly, cute smirk. His kind of smirk is conceited and smug, like he caught me red-handed.

I felt a blush begin to creep onto my face as I realized what I've been doing. I didn't realize that I've been spying on my newfound neighbors for the past forty-five minutes or so. No wonder he smirked at me like that. My blush burned even worse as he began to laugh. His brown haired friend must have asked him what was going on, because before I knew it, he was pointing in my direction. Or rather, straight at pathetic little me. Almost right after the blonde pointed at me, the brown haired boy whipped his head around and faced me. And in that moment, I swear my jaw and stomach both dropped.

I couldn't forget that face. The chiseled jawline, the prominent cheekbones, the soft lips. And mostly, the blazing royal blue eyes framed, in all their glory, with full eyelashes. The same blue eyes that made me know I was a goner two years ago.

Dylan Hayes was back in town. And he didn't look too thrilled to see me.

The expression on his face could only be described as a mixture of shock, confusion, frustration, and curiosity. Mortified and upset, I yanked the window's curtain back in place and stormed upstairs without a second glance.

I threw open my bedroom door and flung myself onto my bed, fuming. Who the hell comes back from a huge move after just one year? Why did he look at me like that?

I suddenly became extremely wary of how I looked. I couldn't look that different could I? I mean, my hair was still long, my eyes still blue, and my face still as plain jane as ever. The only differences were sun streaks in my hair, a tad of eyeliner and mascara, and I was no longer mistaken as a boy when I wore a t-shirt. So then why did he look at me so oddly...? I guess we'll see what happens on Wednesday.

Now that I mention it, eww school.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------