Chapter Twelve: The Best Thing

XII. The Best Thing

Dedicated to the first author on Wattpad to ever make me cry over one of their novels. Thank you for writing The Bad Boy, Cupid & Me.

➳ Kaylee's POV

"So do you like him??"

I laughed at Bree's question and she shot me an 'I'm serious' look. "I don't know, Bree. I never really considered liking him that way ever since he moved away. it's just kind of hard with everything going on lately and all."

"Oh please! So you're telling me that this whole time he's been back, you never even once considered him in that way? Not even a little, teensy-weensy bit?"

"Well...maybe that one night after the whole Ryan incident," I admitted, recalling our moment in front of my house.

"That was two whole months ago!! You haven't considered it at all more recently?"

I thought about what Bree said for a moment. Have I? In the past two months, Dylan and I have been hanging out more than ever. He took me to the town's carnival, the movies, a couple dinners, and of course, our famous movie nights. But did I really like him like that? Was it even a possibility after everything that happened before he moved?

Just as I was about to shake my head no, I remembered the strange feelings I got every time he was around. The warm, fuzzy feeling that spread throughout my whole body, the butterflies in my stomach, the crazy thoughts in my head - all of it. The way his grins and smirks practically made me melt at his feet and the way his brilliant eyes sent a shock of electricity throughout my body. The way his sarcastic and witty comments drew me to him rather than repelled me. Now that I thought about it, this was all beginning to feel like a repeat of freshmen year. Those heavy, thought-provoking, overwhelming feelings were back.

"Umm earth to Kaylee! Did you not just hear the question I asked you a minute ago? I swear you're zoning ou-"

"Oh my freaking crap!!!" I interrupted.

"What??"

"Oh my god, Bree. I like Dylan. No, scratch that. I think I may even love him."

Her eyes grew wide and a grin found its way onto her face. "I knew it!!! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!"

"Yeah, hot shot don't get too cocky here now," I teased.

"I'm serious!! You guys were bound to like each other again from the minute he came back."

"Wait, hold on. We don't even know that he likes me back."

"Kay, are you dense?? Everyone can see that he's in love with you! Do you not notice the little things he does for you? Don't tell me he hasn't dropped a clue once yet!"

"Nope."

Bree glared at me in attempt to tell me to think harder. I racked my brain for any more ideas. I mean sure, he took care of me and comforted me, but none were really a surefire sign that he liked me, or even loved me - wait!

"Well...okay that one night after the whole incident with Ryan, he whispered 'I love you' when he thought I was sleeping."

She shrieked. "Ahhhh!!! Okay, what more evidence do you need Kaylee??? God, you're so dense! That is so freaking adorable. Okay, Kaylee, you need to tell him tonight."

"Tonight tonight?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, tonight tonight! We all know what happened when you waited a year last time!!"

"Alright, alright, I see your point. No need to bring up the past," I groaned.

"Well what're you waiting for? Call him and arrange a meet-up!" she urged, chucking my phone at me.