five ; past

CHAPTER FIVE: FLAMES

FOR ONCE IN HER LIFE, Prudence was certain that she was happy. Her mother had finally gotten off of her back about marrying some noble boy in the village, her older sister had been too busy to be the usual amount of annoying she was, and her and Void had been more entranced with one another than ever. Sure, they fought sometimes like any couple would, but they were so unknowably in love, even if he was too stubborn to realize it and she was too scared to.

Pru had definitely came out of her shell more, not letting shyness stop her from saying what's on her mind or what exactly to do next, and he was the reason for all of that confidence. The fox showed her that if she wanted something, then she could have it with enough planning and persuasion, since all you really needed to know is who you were dealing with along with their weaknesses. After all it was fun being in control, it was fun playing the game with him, and she was so sure that she'd follow him anywhere.

In fact, as she headed back to her village from visiting her grandmother that she still adored, she couldn't help but think about him. She remembered the way he would kiss her, desperately for the most part, but there were moments where he would ease up and slowly let their lips meet in a surprisingly delicate manner that made her heart want to burst. Actually all she felt were feelings towards him, the kind that took over without permission and were the reason behind practically every little touch or interaction, and she was gradually starting to realize that. Maybe affection simply wasn't the right word for what we had anymore, she thought, eyebrows furrowed.

She smelt the smoke before her eyes found it tainting the white clouds in the sky, the familiar scent burning her nostrils in way it never had before, and her feet stopped moving for a second as she understood that the smoke didn't come from a harmless, little fire. So with fear striking every bone in her body, she ran towards her village so quickly it would have alarmed her if she wasn't distracted, her red cloak flailing behind her. The whole time all she could do was hope that she was wrong, that the smoke meant nothing, and that the two people she still cared deeply for, her family, were safe.

After witnessing so many innocent people die by Void's doing and one by her own, it was surprising how easily her humanity found her again, coming from the depths within her and fueling her motivation to just get home. Perhaps it would always be there no matter how much blood was on her hands or no matter how much she tried to push it out of the way for the most part, because it was a part of her just as much as he was. She cared—God, did she still care, about her family and him and this fire that may break her if anyone she loves is hurt. It would kill her if Void died, she would be devastated, and in that moment, she understood how much she loved him. She understood completely.

The stench of burning flesh filled her in the most unpleasant circumstance, her stomach churning uncomfortably as if she were going to throw up, and once she did reach her destination, it was absolute destruction. Buildings had collapsed, the sound of crackling wood still being picked up by her ears, but flames had already took their toll, they had ruined everything. Ash was everywhere, and to her horror bones were found mixed into the mess, granting her with a sight the girl never wanted to ever witness. Pru didn't even know she was crying until her hand absentmindedly reached up to wipe some of her tears away.