nine ; present

CHAPTER NINE: THE STARTING OF A WAR

HIGH HEELS CLICKED against the floor while Lydia Martin smiled politely at her guests, one of her fashionable dresses clinging to her body. Noise surrounded her, the kind that anyone would expect to come from a summer party, which included people talking among themselves and an upbeat song playing from the speakers. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, but of course they were, because the whole town knows this certain strawberry blonde throws the best parties in Beacon Hills.

Liam and his best friend, Mason, were leaning against the side of the house in the backyard, too busy with being each other's "flight attendants" to notice Scott walking out with Kira. The couple had cheesy grins etched onto their faces as they simply enjoyed each other's company, Scott's left arm wrapped loosely around her waist, and the fairy lights hung to provide a source of light only added to the beautiful atmosphere. For most this was just another high school pool party, an excuse to let loose and have fun, and the pack was attempting to do just that. They wanted to be the carefree teenagers they were supposed to be.

Just like according to plan, Pru blended in effortlessly with the crowd, her blonde, loose curls falling effortlessly down her back. A black, form-fitting dress covered her body, easily drawing the attention of a few hormonal teenage boys, but she ignored the glances. After all the girl had priorities, and even though she was putting on an act, now was not the time to go all out with it. Besides, she didn't need a reason for the malevolent spirit inside the spastic teenager to become more possessive; he was only over by the pool with the werecoyote by his side, tolerating her presence and casually keeping an eye on the only person he considers his equal.

From a good distance, Prudence studied Lydia's movements, watching as she passed around cups of red punch to her guests and overall attempting to be a good hostess. The blue-eyed girl knew to be careful with her, because not only was she the brains, she was a banshee, a predictor of death, so no one was going to die at this party tonight by their doing. Supernaturally the strawberry blonde would sense it and they didn't need someone getting in the way—even if that someone was still new to her powers, which was precisely why they needed to get rid of that little problem.

A forced smile that appeared to be genuine was shown when she made her way over to her target, red, lipstick-stained lips curving up on her fair face, and it was the kind of expression that didn't draw any suspicion in the slightest. She even tucked a strand of her golden hair behind her ear once she reached the banshee, wanting to appear more innocent and timid, the heels the blonde was wearing making her a few inches taller. Overall, she was just doing what she knew best—deceiving—just like he taught her.

"You're Lydia Martin, right?" Pru questioned, gaining her attention after the redhead sent a wave to a friend, green eyes exotic and somehow showing sophistication.