chapter four.

january 16, 1989. friday

  "YOUR ROOM IS GORGEOUS!" beverly exclaimed, talking in her surroundings. the room was a pale yellow, and a bookshelf rested against the wall. a window overlooked the street below, and a cushioned bench was attached to it. there was a small metal balcony with stairs leading down. cassandras bed was a queen, with pale pink bedding and pillows. next to the bed there was a nightstand, a book and a lamp resting upon it. on the bookshelf there was a record player, and the shelves were filled with books and old records.

"this was my mothers room, she lived here with my aunt before she moved in with my father. aunt nat redid some of it before i came though." cassandra explained, putting a record in. it played 'every breath you take' by the police, and  cassandra began to sway softly and sang. she spun around and beverly watched her, amused.

"come on, bevvy, dance with me." beverly flinched at the nickname and closed her eyes.

"please don't call me that." beverly whispered, and cassandras eyebrows furrowed with worry.

"are you okay? want me to turn off the music?" cassandra tried to turn away but beverly grabbed her wrist.

"no its okay, lets dance." beverly smiled brightly, shaking off her previous state. cass nodded and grabbed beverlys hand, her other one resting on bevs waist. they began to sway softly and cass smiled.

she enjoyed being this close to beverly.

beverly enjoyed being this close to cass.

cass enjoyed being this close go beverly. it made her feel safe, and warm. she wanted it to be like this all the time.

"cass, i have a question." bev whispered. their faces were getting dangerously close, and cass felt her lips pull into a smile.

"anything."

"do you like girls?"

"yes, i do." she looked down, feeling bevs grip on her loosen. she began to pull away, but bev wouldn't let her.

"no, it's okay, i don't care. it doesn't bother me." cass smiled and their foreheads began to touch. they locked eyes, and cass began to lean in, her lips almost brushing against beverlys.

"girls! dinner is ready! you too, danny."
beverly and cass pulled away from each other, and beverly looked down, embarrassed.
"uh, come on, dinners ready." cass spoke, before stopping the record player. bev nodded and they left the girls room, descending down the stairs.
cass led beverly to the dining room, and they sat down next to eachother.

"uncle david, this is beverly, my friend." cass spoke to her uncle, who was sat across the table from them.

"nice to meet you, you can call me uncle dave." david frayser wasn't one to judge, either. everyone had their own problems and things that made them unique. thats why he had been so accepting of the fact that his niece was gay.

"its a pleasure." beverly smiled, and she felt happy, for once. she was so used to being scared in her own home. here, she felt safe.

"i'm danny. you've probably seen me or heard of me. i'm in tenth grade." beverly smiled and nodded.

"yeah i've seen you around. i've heard you, too. you're quite loud." cass giggled, and danny only smiled.

"i wouldn't say loud, i'd say confident. i'm not afraid to speak." he defended, and cass rolled her eyes playfully.

"if thats how you think of yourself, be as confident as you want." she spoke, and her aunt emerged from the kitchen with a plate for bev and cass.

"ladies first, i always say." she set the plates in front of them, and ruffled cassandras hair. "what would you like to drink? we have soda, water, and juice."

"ill have a water please." bev smiled and cass agreed, smiling brightly at her aunt.

"mom i want soda." danny spoke, smiling so his dimples showed.

"then why dont you get some?" she answered, and danny rolled his eyes before getting up and heading to the kitchen.

"you have a lovely home, and family uncle dave." bev spoke.

"why thank you sweetie, you're welcome to visit anytime you'd like." natalie frayser came out of the kitchen once again, carrying their drinks.

"ill get your food soon darling, i had to take care of the girls first." david shrugged and patted his wife's arm.

"take your time."

  cassandra and beverly began to eat their potatoes and chicken, beverly commenting on how good it is every couple minutes.

soon all of them were seated, and they were talking and laughing. beverly felt at home here, like she finally belonged.

but she soon realized that when dinner was almost over, she had been holding cassandras hand the entire time.

you dont like girls bev, remember that.

•••

I AM SO SORRY FOR THIS TRASH IT WAS MAINLY A FILLER