chapter five.

january 16, 1989. friday

THE TWO GIRLS SAT ON CASSANDRAS bed, giggling and talking like they had known each other for years. magazines and makeup items were sprawled across the bed, creating a mess that cassandra was too busy talking with beverly to clean.

by the time it was midnight, the girls felt like they knew everything about each other.

felt.

"im getting sort of tired." cass yawned, laying back on the mattress.

"oh come on, its only midnight!" bev exclaimed, attempting to pull the brunette in front of her off of her back.

"its late. im tired. please?" cass begged and bev rolled her eyes.

"fine, but just this once. i need pajamas." cass groaned and sat up, knowing she had to change also.

"they're in my drawer, bottom left. i'll go grab you a spare toothbrush." cass walked out of the room, and bev began to search for clothes to wear. she soon found some, and slipped off her clothes, putting the new ones on. she let her hair out of its ponytail. cass walked back in the room, handing beverly a toothbrush. she led her to the bathroom and they brushed their teeth quickly.

once they finished they went back to cassandras room, and she grabbed a pair of pajamas.

"you don't mind me changing, do you?" she asked, and bev shook her head and looked down. she peeled off her shirt and went to grab the sweatshirt on the bed, when beverly noticed white scars on the brunettes wrists. beverly reached out quickly, wrapping her hand around the girls arm before she could react, and looked up with worry.

"who did this to you?" she whispered, and cass felt tears fill her eyes. she pulled her arm away and pulled her sweater over her head and slipped her pants off, pulling on the shorts.

"i did it to myself." she mumbled, fiddling with her fingers.

"no, you didn't. someone made you feel the need to do this. who?" bev stood up and cass didn't look up at her, scared that she would be mad.

"just some girls from my old school. its nothing."

"is that why you moved? to get away from them?"

"n-no. its not that. its something else. i wouldn't leave for something like that."

"then what is it? i don't understand why you cant tell me!" bev whisper yelled, trying to not wake up cassandras family.

"do you want to sleep together, or do you want me on the floor?" cass tried to change the subject, and bev rolled her eyes.

"we're going to share. obviously. but tell me, cass! you can trust me."

"oh yeah? how do you expect me to trust you and tell you why i'm here if you won't tell me how you feel? what about your parents, i asked about them earlier but you brushed me off!" cass felt a tear slip down her face and she wiped it angrily, getting under the covers on her bed. bev did the same.

"because i'm sure our families are very different."

"oh yeah? are your parents in jail?" cass turned to look at bev,and she felt her creased eyebrows relax.

"i'm so sorry cass. i shouldn't have pushed you."

"i forgive you. can we please go to bed now?" bev nodded, and cass flipped the switch on her lamp. darkness filled the room, along with silence.

january 17, saturday

CASS WOKE UP FIRST, HER eyelashes fluttering softly. when her vision finally became clear, she was met with a sight that made her heart stop.

beverly was facing her, asleep. her long red hair was splayed out across the pillow and beverly's face. their legs were tangled together, their bodies almost completely touching. cass slowly reached up, brushing bev's hair out of her face. she got up slowly, and walked to the bathroom to brush her teeth. when she was done, she went back to bed, crawling into the same spot she was in originally. she closed her eyes, and felt herself drifting back to sleep.

she was awoken a couple minutes later when beverly got up and walked to the bathroom the same way she had. she smiled softly and sat up. awaiting the girls return.

beverly came back a couple minutes later, and cass smiled at her as she entered the room.

"good morning." cass spoke, and beverly only smiled sleepily, falling back onto her bed.

"its too early!" bev groaned, and cass laughed, nudging her softly.

"its ten am, i think you'll live. come on, lets go eat pancakes."

FLOUR LITTERED THE FLOOR,
and covered the girls from head to toe.

they had decided a flour war was a good idea, thinking it wouldn't result in a mess.

they were wrong.

  now, here they were, sweeping up flour and wiping down the floors and counter. their giggles and whispers could be heard through the entire house, but only by danny. cassandras aunt was out shopping, and her uncle was at work. danny had heard their laughter and shrieking, but decided to ignore it.

"this was a stupid idea." bev giggled, and cass laughed loudly.

"you think?" the girls erupted in a fit
of laughter, and danny had enough.

"WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP! SOME PEOPLE WANT TO SLEEP!"

that only made them laugh louder. bev began wiping down the floor, quickly trying to finish before natalie came home. cass tried to walk over to the sink, but slipped in some of the water. she fell onto the ground, and immediately started laughing again.

beverly crawled over to her, asking if she was alright. her hand slipped in the water, and she lost her balance. she fell slightly onto cass, their faces only centimeters apart.

"oh, are we interrupting something?"

•••

haha sucky chapter sorry