chapter fifteen.

june 16, 1989. wednesday.

   THE TWO GIRLS LAY SIDE BY
side on separate towels, letting the sun hit their bodies. they had been swimming for hours, and it was the most fun cassandra had in a while.

but as the day went on, she got more and more upset and confused about what had happened the night before. images of her mother popped into her head, the way her face had twisted, and her voice had changed into something far mire evil than she had ever imagined.

   then, the clown. the tall, white faced clown that had stared straight at her, smiling almost mockingly.

    the balloon then drifted towards her behind her closed eyelids, and the eery voice echoed throughout her mind, leaving her sick.

"what are you afraid of?"

   she sat up, breathing heavily and her hands shaking. she felt tears develop in her eyes, but she pushed them back ad quickly as they came.

   bust a move played in the background as all of the boys and bev turned to face her.

   "w-whats wrong?" bill asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

   "n-nothing, i just dozed off a little bit." she lied, pushing her dampened hair out of her face.

   "are you sure, cass?" bev asked, resting her hand on top of the brown haired girls as the boys turned their attention to something richie pulled out of bens bag.

   "yeah, i'm okay." cassandra smiled shakily and bev nodded, knowing full well there was something going on with her.

   "newsflash! schools out for summa!" richie exclaimed fishing through bens backpack, pulling out a post card. "who sent you this?" ben ripped the card out of his hands, blushing slightly and looking towards bev.

   "no one!" richie then pulled out a folder and flipped through it.

   "whats with the history project?" eddie asked, looking over the boys shoulders.

   "when i first got here i didn't have many friends," ben began as bill took the folder from richie. "so i started spending some time in the library."

   "you went to the library? on purpose?" richie asked dumbfounded, and cass giggled.

   "not everyone wants to spend all of their time inside of an arcade, rich." cass rolled her eyes and stood up, walking towards the boys and leaning over bills shoulder.

   "i wanna see." bev spoke, getting up and sitting beside bill. ben watched as she pulled her fallen bra strap onto her shoulder, and the boy blushed softly before shifting his eyes back to the papers.

   "y-y-your hair-" bill started, his blue eyes resting on bev. she brushed it behind her ear, eyes wide.

   "your hair is beautiful, beverly." ben added, and cass rolled her eyes.

   "oh! thank you!" cass glared at the blush resting on bevs face, and bev turned to face the jealous girl, shaking her head slightly. she smiled and reached back, rubbing cassandras arm before turning back around.