chapter twenty-four.

july 7, 1989. monday.

   VICTOR CRISS STAYED SILENT, and cass stayed seated on the ground. she saw a bottle of strawberry vodka dangling from is fingertips, and smiled softly.

"wheres the rest of your friends, criss? i could use a good beating right now. it'll hurt a hell-of-a lot less than what i'm feeling right now," cass snarked, and victor snickered.

"sadly they ain't here," he answered, plopping down next to her and placing his lips on the bottle, then threw his head back. "its jus' me."

"bummer." cass motioned for the bottle and victor lowered his brows.

"you're too young to be drinkin'. i'm pretty sure they have some juice pouches in the drug store over there though."

"so are you." victor shrugged, and  reluctantly handed the fourteen year old girl the bottle of vodka. she took a swig, and reveled in the feeling of the liquid burning her throat, then leaving a warmth in her stomach. she took another drink.

"so whats got your panties in a twist?" he asked as she swallowed down her fifth drink of vodka.

"lets see, psycho mom," cass started, holding up her now free hands as victor took the bottle from her. she ticked off one finger. "loser friends, school bully that mouth raped me, crazy clown," victor lowered his brows and cass waved him off as if to say 'long story.' "and last but certainly not least, my girlfriends dad found out about us. she just broke up with me."

victor nodded, taking a drink, then handing the bottle back to her. she took a long swig, and victor had to pull the bottle away from her.

"shits expensive, frayser." cass snickered and took one last drink before setting it down between them.

"how 'bout you, vic? what are you doing drinking in an alleyway on a monday night?"

"i happen to be going through a somewhat breakup too," victor explained, looking over at the young girl beside him who was slowly getting drunker as she took more drinks. he hadn't even realized she picked up the bottle.

"huh. whos the lucky girl?" she slurred, giggling.

"well, the 'lucky girl' happened to be a guy. and it was henry." cass burst out into cackles. victor rolled his eyes.

"'m sorry. 'm sorry. but henry bowers! that motherfucker is gay?! i mean, you being gay is no surprise, but bowers?" cass cackled some more, and soon victor joined in.

through his giggles he managed "the fucker is psycho! hell, i love him! but he's psycho!" he laughed some more, but soon they both stopped, realizing the fact that henry is crazy wasn't that funny. "he hits me, ya know? tells me he loves me, then he hits me. leaves bruises all over my body. and i still love him."

"we can't help bein in love, victor. its just something we can not do. but if he hits you man, you gotta stay away. you can't just sit there 'n let him hurt you." although she was being dead serious, she had a small smile on her face, and the way her words slurred were almost funny.

victor nodded, and looked at cass. "you're smart, for a fourteen year old ya know."

"i know," cass smirked, and victor and cass broke out into a fit of laughter once again.

the two stayed there for almost two hours, laughing, talking, and drinking. but when the bottle was gone, they said their goodbyes.

"hey, you know where stanley uris lives?" cass asked, and victor nodded. he gave her the address and cass thanked him, before walking out of the alley and, drunkenly stumbled down the road, towards the jewish boys home.