chapter eight.

january 17, 1988. saturday

TO SAY THAT DANNY WAS ANGRY was an understatement.

he was fuming.

as soon as he saw his younger cousin walk through the front door of their home with a swollen face, he dropped his car keys and bag and ran towards cassandras small body.

"oh god- cass what happened?" he pulled her into a hug and she wrapped her arms around him softly. she wasn't able to cry anymore, the girl had gone numb. he pulled back and looked at her injuries, anger coursing through his veins. "who the hell did this to you?"

"b-belch huggins, victor criss, h-henry bowers, a-and- and-" her body shook ad sobs took over. "and p-p-patrick hockstetter!" as she spoke she winced in pain, her throat burned and when she moved her head at all a shock went through her head.

"i'm going to fucking kill them!" he growled, grabbing his coat. he was about to pick up his keys when he saw the way she shook her head violently. she didn't want to be alone. what if they came back? "want me to stay with you until my mom gets home?" she nodded and he sighed, leading her up the stairs. he grabbed the first aid kit from the bathroom and they walked into cassandras room and sat on her bed.

"are you going to tell me what happened-this is going to sting-or should i beat it out of them?" he pressed the alcohol covered cloth against her cut and she winced. she sighed, and spoke softly.

"they took me from the arcade when i was at a different game than the boys. they took me to a house and- and patrick made me-." her lip quivered and she pushed down her last sob. "patrick muh-made suck him off." she looked down at her lap, somewhat ashamed. "i-i wasn't strong enough! wh-why am i never strong enough? i couldn't fight off my parents, and i couldn't fight off those assholes! i'm weak, danny!"

he shushed her, and set the medical supplied aside. "you're not weak cass." he paused and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "you're not weak." she nodded softly and laid her head on his shoulder.

"this is why i'm gay." she laughed softly and danny did too.

"i'll kill them." he muttered and cass shook her head slightly. she felt herself dozing off, her eyelids drooping down.
  in her half asleep state, she felt as danny laid her down onto her bed. he walked over to her window and closed the curtains so the 2'o clock sun wasn't blinding her, and turned off the light in her room. he closed the door, but not fully, and walked down the stairs. he sat on the couch, awaiting the arrival of his mother.

MIKE HANLON WAS WORRIED.

he was worried about the girl who had walked into her own home feeling defeated and abused.

as he rode into town, all he could think about was how sick someone would have to be to do that to a woman.

to do that to anyone.

he made a couple deliveries before spotting a certain red haired girl walk into the town pharmacy. he rode his bike across the street quickly, and jumped off. he locked it onto a pole outside and ran in after her.

"hey, fire hydrant!" he called, and she turned to him and smiled.

"whats up homeschool?" she gave him a quick hug, but noticed the solemn look on his face. "you okay?"