chapter thirteen.

*flashback*

may 17, 1989. wednesday.

   " COME ON, BEV!" CASS GIGGLED, pulling the redhead out the school doors. the bell had rung only moments before, and cassandra had jumped up the moment it sounded throughout the classroom.

   she had found a beautiful field near the water a couple days before, and she had meant to take bev either monday or tuesday, but it had rained both days. now, the sun was shining, making it perfect for the girls.

   "can we make whatever we're doing quick?" bev asked as she climbed on the pegs of dannys old bike, which cass had been riding around. "my dad wants me home. he doesn't like that we've been spending so much time together." cass nodded in return, not wanting to question bev, knowing she would just brush off her questions.

   they arrived by the woods, and cass tucked the bike into the bushes. she then grabbed beverlys hand and led her down the trail towards the flower filled field.

   when they were almost there, cass stopped, and spoke for the first time in a couple minutes, breaking the silence.

"cover your eyes!" bev lowered her eyebrows in confusion.

   "what do you mean, why would-" she started, but they hyper brunette cut her off.

   "just do it!" bev sighed and covered her eyes, and cassandra continued leading her down to the field. they stepped out of the woods and cass let go of beverlys hand smiling widely.

   "uncover them!" bev took her hand off her eyes, gasping in amazement.

   "i haven't been to this place in so long!" she looked around in wonder, and cass felt her heart drop.

   "you mean this isn't a secret place only i know about?"

   "my mom knew about it, me, her, and my dad used to come here and have picnics. b-before she-" bev was cut off by her own tears, and cass suddenly felt terrible.

"i'm sorry! i shouldn't have brought you here!"

"n-no, it's okay. it's nice to be reminded sometimes. come on, lets sit down." bev led cass to the edge of the small cliff overlooking derrys lake.

"bev?" cass spoke, and bev hummed in response. "why don't we have sleepovers at your house?" she watched as bev tensed up, and she was about to say 'forget about it' when bev began speaking.

"after my mom died, my dad started drinking. he got so angry all of the time. he still does. sometimes when it gets really bad, he'll- he'll-" cass grabbed beverlys hand, and turned to face her. "he, he hits me, cass."
casdandras eyes widened, and tears threatened to spill.

"why didn't you tell me, bev?" bev stayed silent, and cass felt anger boil inside of her. "i'm getting you out of there. you're coming to live with me, i dont care what you fucking say."

"cass! cass i'm okay. i'm okay, i promise. i can handle it." beverly assured her, but inside she was screaming. 'no! i can't do it anymore! i can't take it!' but she couldn't say that. she never could. she watched as tears spilled from cassandras eyes, and sadness filled her.

"i'm so, so sorry bev! i want to help. please let me help you!" beverly shook her head, and felt something brew inside of her. she felt a feeling in the pit of her stomach, one she had felt once before.

the same one she felt when she met cass for the first time.

the feeling that bubbled inside of her stomach, and threatened to burst. the one that made her feel so happy and giggly.

the one a girl shouldn't feel about another girl.

especially not bev, her father would never approve.

a girl shouldn't love another girl.

bev got up suddenly, and ran. she ignored cassandras protests from behind her, and she bolted. she ran until her lungs felt like they were going to cave in.

she ran because she was afraid if she stayed much longer, she would have kissed her best friend who went by the name cass.

•••

its short but its a flashback chap lol sorry