Chapter 29

I charge, undeterred, into the chaos. Wolves of all sizes fight against each other and the floor is slick with trails of blood.

I scan the crowd, looking for who's friend and who's foe. Wolves fall all around me and scattered humans are fighting to the best of their abilities.

I turn to see a dark wolf lock eyes with me and approach slowly, all while he growls and snarls. I jump back and run, looking through the crowds.

Another wolf approaches me from the side and I stand still, waiting for him to strike first. Instead of fighting, though, he just continues to approach slowly.

Why isn't he attacking me?

I launch myself at his neck and clamp down hard, all while he's trying to shake me off. Finally, he falls down, presumably passed out from blood loss or dead.

Looking around at Baylor's pack and their fighting, I realize that the pack isn't fighting to their full potential. All their strikes and lunges are mostly in defense, only attacking if absolutely necessary.

Why aren't they fighting back?

Another wolf sees me and approaches, mind-linking the wolves around him who stop what they're doing to turn towards me.

They only want me.

*RUN EDEN!*

Isaiah's voice rings through my head and I immediately dart away, seeing Isaiah in his wolf form by an open door. With my small wolf, I maneuver easily through the fighting, leaving all the large wolves far behind me.

*Get inside!*

Isaiah shifts and I run inside, immediately followed by the slam and lock of the door.

"Are you okay? What were you thinking?!" Isaiah turns around after throwing on a pair of shorts and handing me an old shawl.

"Who's room is this?" I ask, wrapping the shawl around me.

"Why did you think it was okay to go charging into battle like a hero? This is war, Eden!" Isaiah shakes his head, "you're lucky James mind-linked me and I was able to find you so fast. You were this close..."

"Isaiah," I stop him, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I'm okay."

Isaiah nods and takes a deep breath before continuing. "You're like a daughter to me, Eden. I can't lose you."

"It was me who brought this on. It's me they want," I run my hands through my hair and take a breath, "have you noticed Baylor's pack? They're not fighting unless they have to."

"I've realized," Isaiah says.

"Then you know they're just here for me. They'll stop if I go with them..."

"No, Eden."

I am about to respond but the sound of splintering wood alerts me as suddenly the door comes crashing down.

"Get back, Eden!" Isaiah reaches over and pulls out a knife from the desk drawer. A sole gray wolf enters the room and slowly approaches us while growling.

"Eden, get out of here," Isaiah says, clenching his teeth and going to meet the wolf. While the gray wolf continues to stare me down, it lunges for Isaiah. In one quick stab, the wolf falls to the ground.

"Is he dead?"

"Yes and he probably alerted the pack, they'll be here soon." Isaiah reaches over to the desk, and pulls out a locked box, typing in a long code.