Chapter 31

"What's going on?!" I yell, barging down the steps to the basement. I follow the sounds of voices to one of the deepest and most protected cells.

"Alpha," Carter says, bowing in respect as I approach.  There were various people standing around the cell all looking inwards with fear.

I nod hesitantly at Carter and turn towards the cell to see my mate.

Eden had been changed and cleaned by one of the maids and was now wearing a white T-shirt and jeans. They had moved her into one of the jail cells and somehow she still remained unconscious.

"What's the problem, Carter?" I ask, seeing no apparent reason to be called down.

"Well, even though Eden had no weapons on her, we did find a large locket around her neck. We tried to take it off, but touching the metal resulted in burns," Carter swallows and shows me his hand, "bad burns." 

Carters hand is a deep red and the skin has already started blistering. A few other people step forward and show me their burnt hands as well.

"We tried everything, Alpha. We tried gloves, sticks, other metals, nothing worked. It's almost as if the locket is magical."

Without replying, I type in the code for the cell. Standing before my mate, I hover my hand over her locket, feeling the intense heat radiating off of it.

"How come her skin isn't burning?" I ask, turning toward Carter.

"I have no clue, Alpha."

I turn once again toward my mate and place my hand close to the locket again. The heat of the locket feels as hot as a fire and eventually I pull away.

"Impossible" I mutter to myself, before storming off.

"What do we do about the locket, Alpha?" Carter says, running at my heels to keep up with me.

"There's nothing we can do. Just be sure to keep an eye on her in case she wakes up."

Whatever's on her neck, I will find out.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

POV-Eden

I wake uncomfortably, my hands secured behind my back at an awkward angle as I lay on my side. I look around, recognizing the same prison where I had been previously kept.

I groan and move slowly, my head pounding and my body sore.

I must've been out for a while.

I look down at my tied hands and gasp in shock as the silver metal still surrounds my wrists. My wrists are red and raw from constantly rubbing against them. I look down at my chest and thankfully, my necklace still sits there undisturbed.

"What's in the locket?"

I gasp in surprise as I look up and see Carter through the metal bars. He is sitting across from my jail in the shadows, I wouldn't have noticed him if he hadn't spoken up.

"Why do you want to know?" I ask, sounding rather harsh.

A moment passes before Carter replies, "no reason"

Suddenly, the sounds of a banging door and heavy footsteps alert me of Baylor's presence. I sit up quickly on the bed and try to look as brave as possible as he approaches the cell.

"Hello, Eden," he says, his smile not at all comforting me.

"Let me go, Baylor," I demand.

"You know why Calfur started Rogue, Eden?" Baylor asks, completely avoiding my question. "He started Rogue because he wanted war, Eden. He wanted all the power that I had. He wanted to be the new werewolf leader."